Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bent Pushrod?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 06:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent Pushrod?

what are the common symptoms?im thinking that you wont notice a big performance loss,since its probably only one.when im driving,also at idle,when i rev it a little hard or just give it a good amount of throttle;i get this ticking noise from the drivers side engine compartment.no power loss.im going to check all of my manifold bolts;since i just put them back on a couple of months ago(got busted w/LT's).im pretty damn sure it isnt an exhaust leak(i just got tit fixed,not too long ago.when im under the hood and i rev it,it sounds like its in the head.how easy is it to bend a stock pushrod?its a LOT louder when its cold.TIA.any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could just be piston slap... Did you over-rev the engine. You will not bend any pushrods unless you do so. You can check the pushrods, it should take about 2 hours to check them all. Just roll them on a table and look for imperfections.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

i didnt over-rev it.i talked to my pops and he said if i bent a pushrod,i would see a misfire or a stutter in performance;which i dont see.since i last worked on the exhaust,i think it is the culprit.im going to check it out when im finishing the install of my F2 TNT kit. ill keep you guys updated on what happens.thanks.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:17 AM
TECH Addict

ls1's have a tick to em
Old 12-23-2004, 01:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Pretty much the only way to bend a pushrod is to over-rev it in a mis-shift. Also, one bent pushrod will not make the engine run noticibly worse.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by '02SS
how easy is it to bend a stock pushrod?
Very easy, I didn't even come close to the rev limiter and two of mine bent. Though the car had 86k miles on it at the time. I think I ran the RPMs close to 6k when I was learning to do a burn out and that bent them. I put chrome moly pushrods in there and I have had no problems since

Originally Posted by '02SS
i talked to my pops and he said if i bent a pushrod,i would see a misfire or a stutter in performance
You will not notice any kind of performance loss if one is bent. I am sure you will if all of them are bent though.

I bent two of them and my car ran great Sounded like a possessed clock though

Does the ticking get louder or speed up as the RPMs increase?

Last edited by Keenov; 12-23-2004 at 02:50 AM.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:54 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You won't really notice a performance loss with a couple bent ones, but you will notice a miss once and a while. It's very slight usually. I had two bent ones, but the car ran great. I even took it to the track during that time.
Old 12-26-2004, 12:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Keenov
Very easy, I didn't even come close to the rev limiter and two of mine bent. Though the car had 86k miles on it at the time. I think I ran the RPMs close to 6k when I was learning to do a burn out and that bent them. I put chrome moly pushrods in there and I have had no problems since

I've got 76k on mine and have hit the rev limiter more than once in 1st in the rain. Our stock tachs suck so 6k in 1st at WOT, is probably more like 6200. I can rev mine in neutral and the tach appears to fall behind the motor before 2000 rpm.

Jason
Old 12-26-2004, 12:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am in the middle of my cam swap and I had a bent pushrod. The car made a loud ticking noise but it did not seem to hurt performance. Hopefully the hardened pushrods will prevent any more bent rods and the ticking goes away!
Old 12-27-2004, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

Funny to see the differences between people's issues.....

I bent 2 push rods on my '99 Z28, really didn't notice a power loss (just felt "flat" up top), that is until I ran another LS1. Less mods and it walked away at the top end of 2nd and into 3rd (and I'm not a rookie when it comes to racing). I did a dyno to see if I could find out what the issue was, keep in mind I didn't know they were bent yet, and the car only made 286 RWHP with a LM and lid and the graph was rather "bumpy" not smooth.....but no knock beyond the normal LS1 knock.
I thought that was a little low so I spoke to the shop owner (Very good LS1 mechanic). The shop owner looked and stated that he thought it was bent rods. Took the car home, took it apart and found 2 bent rods. Upon replacing them, I took the car back to dyno again, felt stronger on the top end. With all the variables being set as close as humanly possible (I'm ****) the car made 324 RWHP with no other changes . Take it for what it's worth; I just saw these other posts and wanted to give you my 1st hand experience.

Best of luck ! !
Old 12-27-2004, 11:37 PM
11 Second Club

I put some "Hi Tech" comp pushrods in my car about 1 month ago and my car still sounds like it has a VERY loud valvetrain. Im going to go back and take them all out just to make sure.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Stangkilr
I put some "Hi Tech" comp pushrods in my car about 1 month ago and my car still sounds like it has a VERY loud valvetrain. Im going to go back and take them all out just to make sure.
When you changed your heads out, did you go with new lifters......if not, that might be an issue (unless they were looked over closely durring the head swap).
Old 09-18-2010, 05:01 PM
Captain Double Post

Well I finished all the bolt ons and tuned it today ran great but it has been about 4 months since I drove the car I miss shifted reason one rusty on driving, reason well excuse 2 my shifter is shot, I just think the 122000 mile stock pushrods just couldn't take it anymore, a ms3 cam kit is getting poped in but it will miss fire very bad check engine light flashing,and almost stallin,but I think I have about 3

Quick Reply: Bent Pushrod?