Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

uestion about UD pulley reuse

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 12:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uestion about UD pulley reuse

I have an ASP UD pulley on my C5. I'm pulling the heads shortly to shave them some more and redegreeing the cam while I'm in there. What's your experience on reusing the pulley since it's been 'stretched' already. The pin kit is about $80 and I don't know where to get it. Did you successfully reuse it without pinning the crank?
Old 12-24-2004, 01:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not shure about this "pinning", but the pulley itsself dosen't stretch. The only thing you have to buy is a new bolt. That is what is stretched. You can install the pulley as many times as you want. Buy an ARP crank hub bolt and you'll never have to replace it again either. There is nothing to "pin" that I know of. Just a pulley and a single bolt.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:37 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
Not shure about this "pinning", but the pulley itsself dosen't stretch. The only thing you have to buy is a new bolt. That is what is stretched. You can install the pulley as many times as you want. Buy an ARP crank hub bolt and you'll never have to replace it again either. There is nothing to "pin" that I know of. Just a pulley and a single bolt.
Thanks Beast96Z. I am refering to the pinning the FI guys do to keep the pulley from spinning with a SC. Some have suggested that since the pulley has already been pressed onto the crank that it won't fit as tight the second time around and pinning it would be a precaution. I feel the way you do. That if I pull it off correctly and reinstall it correctly to the proper torque and angle I shouldn't have a problem. I am just looking for a few to say "I've done it with no problems.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

Pinning it certainly won't hurt, probably a good idea.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:43 AM
BADA BING BADA BOOM!!!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PIN IT!!!!

A couple of years back I had an issue after reusing my ASP pulley.

I had reused it a couple of times and while at the Vette Viper F-body Shootout in Bradenton I kept nailing the rev limiter and my shiftlight would never come on.

Well it turned out that my pulley was spinning on the crank snout causing the motor to rev too fast for the shift light to keep up. I was able to remove the pulley bolt with my hand and the pulley fell off in my hand.

I got lucky but it would have sucked to have the pulley come flying off the car with the motor at 7000 RPM

The pin kit is good, cheap insurance against a potential disaster.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:52 PM
TECH Regular

Ok. Anybody know where I can get one?
Old 12-25-2004, 01:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Richie Carbone
PIN IT!!!!

A couple of years back I had an issue after reusing my ASP pulley.

I had reused it a couple of times and while at the Vette Viper F-body Shootout in Bradenton I kept nailing the rev limiter and my shiftlight would never come on.

Well it turned out that my pulley was spinning on the crank snout causing the motor to rev too fast for the shift light to keep up. I was able to remove the pulley bolt with my hand and the pulley fell off in my hand.

I got lucky but it would have sucked to have the pulley come flying off the car with the motor at 7000 RPM

The pin kit is good, cheap insurance against a potential disaster.

Same **** happened to me, Mine manifested as low voltage though, I replaced the alt and redid my wiring and all looked good, decided to see if the belt was slipping or someshit on the alt and I open the hood with the car running and low and behold the belt is not spinning at all infact none of my belts/pulleys were . I looked at the crank to see the ASP spinning on my damn crank, I jacked the car up and removed the bolt by hand and pulled the pulley off by hand, I ended up going ATI and I got the key/pin for my crank so I get no more slippage.