Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0L engine reccomendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0L engine reccomendations

Hi, I'm new here but this is just the beginning of my life in the LS1 world. I have a 1995 Chevy pickup that I am installing a 2002 6.0L engine into along with a 4L80e transmission. My question now regards the engine buildup.

I have a 27K mile LQ4 (low compression) 6L engine that I acquired from a junkyard. I will be completely disassembling it because I do not know its maintenance history. I have acquired a low mile rotating assembly from an LQ9 (10.1:1 compression) engine that I plan to install. My current plan is to have a machine shop hone the cylinders and install new rings and main/rod bearings. A few questions:
-the LQ9 assembly is balanced from the factory. If I install ARP rod bolts, will it need to be rebalanced?
-With low miles I assume a hone is all I will need, no boring. Correct?
-Torque plates are obviously the right way to do the hone, but with the iron block should I freak out if the machine shop I use doesn't have LS1 torque plates?

I also am installing a new cam myself. I wasn't planning on replacing the cam bearings with only 27K miles. With the block completely stripped and at the machine shop, is this a wise choice? I also plan to install hardened pushrods and Comp 918 springs. Anything else I should look into?

I also would like suggestions for good bearings to purchase and a good gasket set.

This is being done on a very tight budget, but I don't want to cut corners. I'm not looking for anything exotic, just something that will be reliable, quiet, and stay together for many miles. The engine may see boost in the future, but that is speculation at this point.

Thanks in advance!

Patrick