Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When on the AFR 225 small chamber heads?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 03:30 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default When on the AFR 225 small chamber heads?

When do you think they will REALLY come out???
Old 01-31-2005, 10:38 AM
6 Second Club Moderator

Anyone have any solid info?
Old 01-31-2005, 11:24 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LASTLS1
Anyone have any solid info?

Copied and pasted from a recent response I posted under the "AFR 225" thread:

Quick Update...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Guys...

First off I would like to address the situation of the larger chamber diameter (4.100) of the 225's on the "stock" 3.900 bore. Besides the fact you MUST use a large bore gasket with ANY 225 install (4.130 minimum bore diameter), it poses no other problems whatsoever, flows well, and will make great power on a stock bore engine build. It is NOT an issue. As soon as some "225" stock displacment engines start putting up big numbers it will long be forgotten about. Every hard running BBC buildup in the country that has not been bored to 4.600 inches has combustion chambers that slightly "overhang" the cylinder bore.

The million dollar question is when will the small chamber (62 cc) versions of the 225's be ready to ship. The answer to that is I don't exactly know....my best guess is that we might start shipping the first wave of 62 cc heads late February to mid-March. Even that guesstimate could prove to be conservative but I certainly hope not. The bottom line is that we are extremely busy and doing the best we can till we get into a much larger manufacturing facility slated for the tail end of 05'.

My best advice to anyone trying to assure they get in on the first "wave" of castings is to contact us directly and get yourselves on the 62cc 225 "Pre-order" list. This list is comprised of people that would have given us a firm order and a deposit had we been willing to accept it. AFR will contact all of the people (and distributors) on this list as soon as Engineering gives Production the green light to start cutting 225's on the CNC machines. Once all of the people on the Pre-order list have been contacted and have their orders placed, we will start placing orders in the "que" based on first come first serve. If your NOT on the "list", the chances of you getting or seeing a 62 cc 225 before the end of March is slim. I anticipate a pretty good demand on the small chamber stuff so plan ahead so you don't string yourself along till the weather starts to break.

I wish I had better news to report regarding delivery times, but for the customers who can put up with the wait, I think the end results will more than justify the delay. I think LEGITAMATE (NO dyno tricks and BS) 500+ RWHP stock displacement PUMP gas engines will become a reality for the guys that take the time to dial in their combinations with the next iteration of AFR's proven "recipe".

Thanks for the support and putting up with the seemingly endless "lead time".

Regards,
Tony Mamo

PS Trust me when I tell you that a big factor in the "delay" was to make sure that even with the different chamber configuration, the 62 cc version was every bit as killer as the 72 cc version. Chamber shapes play a big role in flow figures and accomplising this has been no small feat. Once again, we didn't want to "rush" a product to market simply because you guys are screaming for it....fact is the delay has probably cost us some business but we weren't willing to compromise the end results....and when the smoke clears, it's the "end results" that we will always be judged by.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:06 AM
6 Second Club Moderator

Thank you!