Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble shooting help please.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trouble shooting help please.....

The other day I did a H/C install on my car. This isn't the first one I've done on an LS1 car, but this is the first time I've ever had problems.

At first the car was just running rough & throwing a few expected codes except for a P0171 Bank 1 lean. I messed with it & messed with it, then finally gave up. I checked all my grounds, all 3 were hooked up on the drivers side head. The next day I fired it up & none of the gauges were working except for the Oil Pressure, Volts & Speedo, the car did start, but ran crappy again. I had no Temp, Gas Gauge, Tach, the ABS Inop light was lit, the Service Vehicle light was lit + a few others. The next day I went to fire it up & the battery was pretty much dead, I put my multi meter on it & it had about 8.5 volts in it. So I charged the battery & when I hooked it up one of my cooling fans came on, now the keys weren't even in the car & the motor was ice cold. So I disconnected the battery & then disconnected all the sensor plugs that I could get to. Then I hooked the battery back up & the cooling fan wasn't on. So I started plugging in all the sensors & injectors. When I plugged in the last injector which was #7 the damn cooling fans came back on, I put my multi meter on Continuity & when I put the probes in the injector harness on #7 it rang, like it was shorted.

I've been under the car, can't find where I might have crushed some wires under the heads when I installed them, no noticible crushed wires under the intake either. So I pulled the starter & didn't notice any chaffed or burnt wires either. The only wires I can remember maybe streaching were the wires to the O2 sensors on the headers when I dropped them.

Someone please throw some idea's at me while I still have the car up on jack's.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I think I found the problem. After tearing down the top end of the motor twice, & it still not acting right. I decided to check the weather pac connectors on the PCM, well the blue plug was full of water apparently from when I washed down the motor before I tore it down.

I'm going to take some air & a hair dryer & dry off the connector & see if that works. It's getting dark now, so I'll have to wait until the A.M. I am going to pull the computer & clean all the pins & check it for water too.

But I think that's my problem. Water in the computer connector.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

after you dry it out, use dielectric grease to insure a dry, fail safe connection. had that problem with our marine engine harnesses, all but eliminated issues with electrical connections.