Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump swap necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having something fall into the pan. (It happened to me) Stuff a rage in there so if something falls it won't go into the pan. Other than that, just make sure that the o-ring doesn't get pinched when installing the pickup tube. Get a new o-ring from gm also b/c many times the old one will not be perfectly round anymore.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1FIRE
What is the worst case Scenario that can happen while changing the oil pump?
You put on the o-ring wrong and have little or no oil pressure, causing the lifters to clatter loudly or even worse scoring your cam bearings forcing you to remove everything again to just to put a new o-ring in. It's ultimately your decision.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
He doesn't need to completely remove the chain to install a cam. Like I said if it works fine, leave it alone. It's too much of a PITA to put a new one in just for the sake of putting a new one in.
I am of the same opinion, Me and another member on here have done 20 +cam installs(the majority for guys in the Southern Section) We have replaced one chain for Judd, a member on here and no pumps so far, Not a single one has had an oil pressure problem, this ranges from 98's -02's,25K-100K,doing the chain was a PITA and we charge a premium for it since you have 2 real choices,get enough clearence to hope you get the O ring on correctly, or pull/drop the motor so you are sure you do(who wants to pull the whole thing down again if you dont get pressure after replacing the O-ring?) it is a choice and most of the members here always lean to the since I am in there I should change it point of view,which is fine, but in reality in my small sample of real world experience, neither chain nor pump is a real problem for MOST.(Oh and in case anyone cares I have installed 2 cams in my 02 SS, first a Hotcam then the prsent F11. Same chain,same pump.)
Old 02-16-2005, 04:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss rally red
I am of the same opinion, Me and another member on here have done 20 +cam installs(the majority for guys in the Southern Section) We have replaced one chain for Judd, a member on here and no pumps so far, Not a single one has had an oil pressure problem, this ranges from 98's -02's,25K-100K,doing the chain was a PITA and we charge a premium for it since you have 2 real choices,get enough clearence to hope you get the O ring on correctly, or pull/drop the motor so you are sure you do(who wants to pull the whole thing down again if you dont get pressure after replacing the O-ring?) it is a choice and most of the members here always lean to the since I am in there I should change it point of view,which is fine, but in reality in my small sample of real world experience, neither chain nor pump is a real problem for MOST.(Oh and in case anyone cares I have installed 2 cams in my 02 SS, first a Hotcam then the prsent F11. Same chain,same pump.)
I don't think what you are charging is that bad (a premium). Considering all you have to do to get it right it is worth it. I know it's in good hands when you are working on it. Once the chain is in there I'll feel a little better about beating on it in the mean time I'm getting some good gas mileage babying it around.

Quick Reply: Oil pump swap necessary?