Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Oil Pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Another Oil Pressure?

I'm having oil pressure issues but may have figured it out. When I first start the car everything seems fine, plenty of pressure, the guage is responsive to blipping the throttle. But when it warms up, the pressure falls to about 50%. It also seems less responsive to blipping the throttle.

My header was bent a while back so it's about 1/8" from the filter. Is it possible that the oil is getting so hot that it is thinning out? Has anyone run into this?
Old 02-28-2005, 11:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much oil pressure do you have once the car gets hot and the pressure falls down? Does it go back up when you blip the throttle?

The loss in oil pressure is probably being caused by the aluminum expanding, creating bigger clearances, which will reduce oil pressure. Remember, if the space you're trying to fill gets larger (bigger clearance) and you don't increase the volume of the oil you're sending to those spaces, pressure goes down.

As long as you make about 15 - 20 PSI of oil pressure at idle while hot, and the pressure goes up quickly when you blip the throttle, you'll be just fine.