Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catchcan PCV system vs valve cover breathers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe the pcv valve is kapootz?

Just guessin now...
Old 03-06-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Regular

I went to breathers in both valve covers, but I am thinking about changing to the catch can / PCV set up. Currently I have a chrome Mr.Gasket valve cover breather on the passenger side, and a K&N air filter type filter in the rear driver side. After driving in some cold/moist conditions this winter I was checking things over and happened to pull the chrome breather off and found in the oil neck a nasty yellowish sludge, and the same stuff in the breather. I am sure vapors were getting out when the breather was new cause the sludge made my hands smell like gas bad when I wiped it out. I have since replaced the breather, and want to see if it comes back in warmer weather. I do not remember anything like that after the first oil change with the breathers, so that is why I suspected the weather. I hated seeing that crap though in the oil neck cause I am sure some dripped back into the engine. I hope other people post their experiences, because I was really hoping to make the catch can work.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanx for all the input guy's, I'll keep on exparamenting untill I get it right.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:45 PM
TECH Regular

Wish I could help more....But I simply put on the LS6 valley cover and ran a clear plastic fuel filter in the short line to the TB. And the filter gets dirty and now the TB doesn't. So I was happy.

I suppose with the new LS2 in the car, I now have an LS6 valley cover to sell to someone.

Perry
Old 03-08-2005, 01:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sludge shows up on alot of cars even if it has a good pcv system.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:41 AM
pdd
TECH Veteran

im gonna try a longer hose from the pcv to the catch can. then if that dont work oll put in a fuel filter. then if that dont work ill drain the oil out of the car and use playdoh
Old 03-08-2005, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Perry Kincy
Wish I could help more....But I simply put on the LS6 valley cover and ran a clear plastic fuel filter in the short line to the TB. And the filter gets dirty and now the TB doesn't. So I was happy.

I suppose with the new LS2 in the car, I now have an LS6 valley cover to sell to someone.

Perry
I tryed that one too but it did not work with the fuel filter I used, I'm gonna try a different type of filter with a resevor. I'm just about all out of Idea's . BTW I'm using M1 oil, maybe that's the problem.

Last edited by Oatmeal; 03-08-2005 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:08 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will almost bet it is directly tied to the use of Mobil 1 oil. I had tried everything and just recently I swapped to Castrol GTX non synthetic and so far so good. The AMW catch can has caught a slight amount as it is supposed to, but none in the intake yet.

Try it and let us know if you the same results.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:58 PM
Launching!

SOMEONE NEEDS TO MAKE AN EVAC AIRPUMP FOR F-BODYS!!! CAN I GET AN AMEN!

I know the one for the Vette is out and is rather expensive. This is a gold mine in my opinion whoever develops one, because I guarantee Ill be buying one and so will many others. Just alone from this post I see 30 sales. Good Luck to all and come on sponsors build that f-body air pump kit. THANKS
Old 09-14-2005, 08:53 AM
12 Second Club

I saw a guy who took an extra AIR pump used in our emissions system and hooked it up to suck air out the crank case. He said it gave him an extra 10 HP as an extra benefit. It's ugly, but works
Old 09-14-2005, 01:10 PM
TECH Veteran

(1) Is there any long term Ill effects on my engine or piston rings of running breathers? no......at WOT you no longer have vacuum on the crankcase anyways........as long as your breather/s can flow equal to/more than the amount of pressure (blowby) created you will have a better system

(2) Will an oil/air seperator stop oil mist?into the intake, no....you will still pull the oil in at cruse (high vacuum).........with a beather, yes....I personally just cut a little piece of foam and put inside my filter to catch the "mist".....

(3) and if an oil/air seperator will work, where can I find aircraft oil/air seperator?no idea.....

(4) Has anyone had good result's with a cadillac air pump?I would guess it's an electric pump? depends on how much it flows.....

the stock PCV (hose) is not large enough to handle the amount of flow created at high RPM (even for stock CI engines) which results in velocity reaching a very high rate and thus pulling oil "along for the ride".........so you COULD replace the system with a really big hose into the intake (to flow more and thus slow the air down), but you might as well just put breathers in and keep ALL oil out of the intake........
Old 09-14-2005, 02:48 PM
TECH Resident

You are not going to hurt the rings or anything by running the vents to a can. Did you ever see a NASCAR motor with a PCV system routing back into the intake, NO. The PCV system is there to prevent oil fumes from entering the environment. It has another purpose, that is to evacuate the crankcase pressure. At high rpm, that can be a problem. We all know of the development with the LS6 block for better breathing. By removing the PCV, you may make some gains from not having oil in the intake, and the PCV is a bad vaccum leak, but if you are building pressure in the crankcase, that is not a good thing. I'm going to try a can with a filter, and try it connected to the intake, or vented to the can without intake vaccume.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:24 PM
TECH Veteran

I suspect the size of the catch can is very important. Mine is huge and I don"t have any oil in my intake anymore....

I made mine from 2 1/2 inch PVC plastic pipe from home depo. It is about 14 inches long..... I suspect the large can reduces the vacuum.... but I could be wrong.
I blocked off the drivers side valve cover... I also have an LS6 valley cover.

I think the filter idea between the catch can and TB is also good suggestion but i have not tried this.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:48 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I know that the AMW dis stop about 99% of the oil from getting to my intake, but when I eventually do a new motor, I will be tossing the PCV to the woods. The idea of hooking tup teh AIR pump to the crankcase and using it as suction from teh valve cover is an intresting idea, I wonder if anyone lese has done this? With ls1edit, you could probably turn that pump on all the time, run the suction side right to a valve cover, and then just have the exit side of the air pump go out under the car... Hmmm, this should be tried, I may have to talkt o a couple people about trying this, have a valve cover done with a fitting for that size hose or something.

Quick Reply: Catchcan PCV system vs valve cover breathers.