Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick ? - TB Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 08:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick ? - TB Removal

In the middle of removing throttle body on my '98.
I see how to release the throttle cable (driver's side), but I do not see how the passenger side cable (cruise control) releases.
Does the cable come out of the black plastic piece attached to the TB or do you remove the entire rectangle shape black plastic piece the cable runs through ie the cable remains in this piece?
I hope that makes sense.
Thanks and I apologize mods if this the wrong forum.
--
Old 03-05-2005, 08:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

If it is the same system than my 01, the plastic piece in the middle has a latch mechanism. grab and squeeze (top/bottom) then pull outward. this releases the latch off the TB ****.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:21 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
If it is the same system than my 01, the plastic piece in the middle has a latch mechanism. grab and squeeze (top/bottom) then pull outward. this releases the latch off the TB ****.
Thanks for the reply Predator. Just went out and tried again, 98 must be different. I don't see any tabs to squeeze top/bottom. There is a latch mechanism (cable runs through) in the plastic piece. Does the entire plastic piece come off the TB? Or are you saying when you squeeze the tabs, you pull the latch mechanism/cable out and the rest of that plastic piece stays on TB ****?
Do you recall if you if the tabs you squeeze are radiator side or intake manifold side?
Old 03-05-2005, 10:23 AM
TECH Regular

ttt bump
Any '98 owners with cruise control. For the life of me I dont see how the black plastic the cable runs through comes off the TB.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:30 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

It will pop out sooner or later just got to keep trying. It took me way too long to get that thing out. Just got to keep pulling it, I dont remember doing anything special.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just pull on it. It pops off eventually. Took me forever to figure it out. Lift the throttle up till there is some slack in the cable, then pull the black piece towards you until it pops off. Good luck.

(I've taken my TB off so many times I think I can do it with my eyes closed)
Old 03-06-2005, 04:00 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the replies! Yep, the entire piece just pops off the TB nipple. It took me awhile to figure it out. It has a latch mechanism that looks like it might slide through the outer part, but that is not the case and that was confusing me. Plus the cold temps and you know how easy it is to break plastic.
Any reason not to cut off about an inch of the EGR tube/pipe that extends down in the intake manifold behind TB?
Old 03-06-2005, 05:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

No that is a FREE mod.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:51 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98A4LS1
Thanks for the replies! Yep, the entire piece just pops off the TB nipple. It took me awhile to figure it out. It has a latch mechanism that looks like it might slide through the outer part, but that is not the case and that was confusing me. Plus the cold temps and you know how easy it is to break plastic.
Any reason not to cut off about an inch of the EGR tube/pipe that extends down in the intake manifold behind TB?
people have been cutting those since the dawn of time!

mine was cut for a while, then i scrapped the entire EGR system and had it (and the reset of my emmissions crap) tuned out of my PCM (for only 75 bux at MTI).

i would HIGHLY recommend getting rid of all of it, makes the engine bay look alot cleaner and sanitized for your protection