Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ported oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 10:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool....i agree with everything you stated. the only thing im still confused about is why they even make thicker oil then. so if i install thicker oil, so less can come out of the restrictions, and it raises the pressure, but less oil is actually flowing past the restriction (bearings), then why do serious race engines usually use a thicker oil if that does not add to protection?

thanks
Old 03-15-2005, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The thicker oil will thin out under extreme use.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slow3hoe2
cool....i agree with everything you stated. the only thing im still confused about is why they even make thicker oil then. so if i install thicker oil, so less can come out of the restrictions, and it raises the pressure, but less oil is actually flowing past the restriction (bearings), then why do serious race engines usually use a thicker oil if that does not add to protection?

thanks

every serious race engine i know of, short of top fuel cars, runs the lowest weight oil it can. less drag(from the pump and windage).... most modern cars also run low weight oil so it gets around the car faster upon inital startup.

but older production motors have larger clearances... therefore, the ultra-thin oil that works great in a close tolerance LS1 might just pour out all the lifter bores before it gets around to the main bearings.... ect... it has to run what its made for.
this is also why a 250,000 mile engine might die on 5w oil, but would live another 50k on heavy oil.... the worn bearings leak, but the thicker oil wont all pour out before it goes around the motor....

top fuel cars actually have some custom additives added to them to make it even thicker... but they're a whole 'nother ball game.. i know they need it to survive, but im not positive as to why. i do know there are some insane stresses going on in thoes motors though......

they make oil with diffrent viscosity ratings for diffrent situations and motors. what works great in a old pickup truck isnt whats best for your LS1 and whats good for your LS1 isnt best for your diesel towing rig... thats why theres diffrent oils out there.. and its not just the weight.
theres the base stock. additive package... and of course, marketing... as a company, if i can get you to pay $3 more a bottle for somthing "high miliage", of course i'll make it... all it is, is some more additives to swell the seals....