Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are heads so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See TEA's post in Sponsor Sale section. $100 separates their stage 1.5 to stage 2's, the only difference being the larger exhaust valve, and that really may not be worth doing.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cylinder heads are the most important part in engine producing great power.
The main difference between an LT1 and a LS1 is Cylinder head design.
Better heads = more power.
Of course supporting mods need to be done also. The difference between company A and company B's heads always comes down to the things you don't see such as the quality of products put into the heads or the quality of the port design or of the machine work. The amount of time and detail put into the assembly process.
As a cylinder head company we see some crazy stuff. We have had our ports stolen by other companys. But with cylinder heads , like paintings and money,the copy is never as good as the original.
So while I understand that it may seem expensive to get a good set of cylinder heads, The reasons they cost alot are simple. CNC machines are not cheap,digitizers are not cheap, Shop equipment such as flow benchs,Valve grinders, mills etc are not cheap. Having the best equipment in the world is just about worthless if you do not have quality employees to run them. Quality employees are not cheap. Cylinder head copies are not as good as the original so having someone develope quality ports is not cheap. Having a cylinder head porter who knows his business is also expensive. Also take into consideration that the best product in the world will sit on the shelf gathering dust if you do not have quality people to spread the word about how great the product is. Us "sales people" are not cheap either
Quality is the most important part of our business. It is not easy to attain and it does not come without cost. While we may not be the most affordable company out I feel our quality and customer commitment far out weigh any small difference in product pricing.
Brent
BTW do not take this post as bash. It is not intended to be like that I am just trying to explain the process as to how a cylinder head gets completed around here.

IMO I think the question to ask is why are some heads so cheap?

Last edited by BrentB@TEA; 03-22-2005 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

Well put, port copying happens more than people know. I am glad no one will ever accuse me of that . Machines, talent, and materials cost money- it just depend on how much you are willing to spend to have x amount of outcome.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:14 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by v8maro
Part of it is supply and demand, people are willing to pay that price for them, so why would the lower it??
On a side note later this summer I will be selling my stage 2 heads for about $800, I can PM you when I do if you'd like?
-Stvee
Please do. who makes them?
Old 03-23-2005, 12:25 PM
Banned

"if you do not have quality people to spread the word about how great the product is. Us "sales people" are not cheap either "

how do you "steal" a port?

Also how do you know if one head is better than the other if everyone is using the same equiptment?
I know you can search for opinions, but there isnt a standout when you do that. Everyone will tout what ever they bought, unless it just plain blew up on them. Look out there you have SLP,TR - GTP, AFR/TEA, Patriot, G2(who make thiers) just to name a few? Its mind boggling

Last edited by 99_black_SS_m6_T's; 03-23-2005 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

if you want quality port and polishing with free assembly of your parts for a very good price, shoot me over a pm
Old 03-23-2005, 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BrentB@TEA
Cylinder heads are the most important part in engine producing great power.
The main difference between an LT1 and a LS1 is Cylinder head design.
Better heads = more power.
exactly so why spend $2000+ for a ported ls1 or even ls6 head when you can get "Better" heads from AFR for the same price.

with the new heads that are out and that are suppose to be out ... gettin ported lsx heads for $2000+ is just stupid now.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

Why not just model yours after one that is fast? Most guys have them in their sigs. What turns the numbers at the track is how I rate parts, not flow bench #'s. That's a reference point but not always what you should use to determine what you buy.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by madpwr1
exactly so why spend $2000+ for a ported ls1 or even ls6 head when you can get "Better" heads from AFR for the same price.

with the new heads that are out and that are suppose to be out ... gettin ported lsx heads for $2000+ is just stupid now.
Look in the sponsor section I am selling a 5.3 stage 1.5 head that will run neck and neck with an AFR205 head. I have listed an average of 3 flow numbers to compare with the AFR205 head on the same bench.
You can buy our 1.5rev2 5.3 head,gaskets,bolts,timing chain,camshaft and an underdrive pulley for less that the cost of the AFR205 heads with the upgraded springs. What is the better deal? who will make the most power for less?
Also take into consideration,that unlike you, we also have to pay to advertise here, that does not come cheap either
Old 03-23-2005, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99_black_SS_m6_T's
SLP,TR - GTP, AFR, TEA, Patriot, G2(who make thiers) just to name a few? Its mind boggling
fixed it. We are AFR dealers but are not partnered with them.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:41 PM
Banned

fixed it. We are AFR dealers but are not partnered with them.
with my tr224 .563 .563 112 lsa cam and ls6 intake, ported tb, lt's; what would be the best head setup for me. My hp and tq is 372. I imagine I can get more out of tuning. but I'm hoping with heads to be around 410-425. Is that unrealistic? Your 1.5 and even 2.0 arent that bad of a price but what is best for me? With stock a botton end does enlarging the combustion chamber to 4.00 or 4.125 make sense for me?
Flow Intake and Exhaust Ports - is that port matching?
I like where my current power band is, just want more kick to it.

Last edited by 99_black_SS_m6_T's; 03-23-2005 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Look in the sponsor section I am selling a 5.3 stage 1.5 head that will run neck and neck with an AFR205 head. I have listed an average of 3 flow numbers to compare with the AFR205 head on the same bench.
You can buy our 1.5rev2 5.3 head,gaskets,bolts,timing chain,camshaft and an underdrive pulley for less that the cost of the AFR205 heads with the upgraded springs. What is the better deal? who will make the most power for less?
Also take into consideration,that unlike you, we also have to pay to advertise here, that does not come cheap either
good job ... so you're sayin that these heads will outperform AFR's? ... i say that's a challenge, i got a completely stock ls1 from lid to 2.73gears i'd be willin to use for testing purposes ... but in all fairness they are cheaper and do flow well on your bench, but i don't think they'll outperfom afr's... good buy nonetheless.

btw, i don't port/polish heads, i was just goin to refer him to a guy my buddy uses and his work looks and performs pretty well for what he charges.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

its already been stated, you're not only paying for the heads, but also helping the company pay for all their equip, their employee's, their building, etc, it adds up.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:54 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good job ... so you're sayin that these heads will outperform AFR's? ... i say that's a challenge, i got a completely stock ls1 from lid to 2.73gears i'd be willin to use for testing purposes ... but in all fairness they are cheaper and do flow well on your bench, but i don't think they'll outperfom afr's... good buy nonetheless.

btw, i don't port/polish heads, i was just goin to refer him to a guy my buddy uses and his work looks and performs pretty well for what he charges.

I would take the bet with the deal being I get to bolt on AFR's only and then I get to bolt on TEA's with the cam, timing chain etc for the same price.
Hell I would even take the bet using the same exact setup TEA vs AFR that there is only a small difference.
You have 2 of the top heads available for the LS1 going head to head, there isn't gonna be a big difference innumber 1 vs number 2.
TEA makes a nice quality head and with Absolute speed being done it just makes it easier to decide between heads.
The only way to buy heads is to set a goal in what you want to achieve, and a budget you have to spend.
If the budget and goal dont work then you need to save some more money. Then you need to do research in the dyno section and track section.
See what combo's work the best.
Choose a few companys that you feel will meet your goals and start calling. Pick the one that sells the product the best and does the most to earn your business.
There are many good head porters out there, and having one that gets the job done quickly, produces consistant high power car's, and has good customer service is the one I would choose.
Remember in the price of the heads you have a good amount of money in parts.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:06 AM
Banned

Would ls6 heads be a direct bolton replacemt for my car? there is a set going cheap on ebay. Can someone explain the bore size? what is my current size, would 4.00 be better? and can I use a 4.00 bore head as a direct replacement?
Old 03-24-2005, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I understand how you feel.Lots of people get caught up in the hype. AFR's are nice set of heads. They have a thick deck and make good power out of the box. They are great for power adder applications. However on a stock short block I think our 5.3 stage 1.5rev2 heads will perform right with them.
We have another set of AFR 205 heads coming in very soon.We also have a stock engine and several camshafts. We are taking all of the above parts along with a few sets of our heads to an engine dyno and we will post our results,good or bad.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99_black_SS_m6_T's
Would ls6 heads be a direct bolton replacemt for my car? there is a set going cheap on ebay. Can someone explain the bore size? what is my current size, would 4.00 be better? and can I use a 4.00 bore head as a direct replacement?
LS6 heads will bolt on no problem. You have a 3.90 inch bore. Stay with heads made for that bore if you want them to work well.The valve train parts in the 2002 and up ls6 heads are better than the 2001 heads. They will work better than what you have but not as well as a set of ported 5.3's.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
Brent
Old 03-24-2005, 11:19 AM
Banned

LS6 heads will bolt on no problem. You have a 3.90 inch bore. Stay with heads made for that bore if you want them to work well.The valve train parts in the 2002 and up ls6 heads are better than the 2001 heads. They will work better than what you have but not as well as a set of ported 5.3's.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
Brent
OK question about 5.3 or 5.7... Isnt that the engine size? Dont I have a 5.7 Total confusement here? what is mine?

"The valve train parts in the 2002 and up ls6 heads are better than the 2001 heads." -- Is the bore on the piston bigger than on my 99?
Trying to understand why the heads are a bigger bore than mine.
And I do like the $1550 or what ever it is, even the 1789 for the stage 2's isnt that bad compared to AFR's and other stage 2 heads. I just need to ask all these questions to understand it all.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Or you could just get AFR heads from TEA and have them port the AFR heads!! BEST OF BOTH WORLDS!!

Thats what I am doing if AFR can get some castings out the door!!
Old 03-24-2005, 07:42 PM
Banned

what is the 5.3 and 5.7? what came with my car?