Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam install? timing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 04:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation cam install? timing?

when installing the cam i know the chain is moved around a bit, but is there any major problem when all things arent lined up right upon reassembly? i have seen that it is very important to line up everything but how important?
Old 03-21-2005, 04:30 PM
Launching!

Default You MUST Phase the cam properly

You can be several dgrees off for your camshaft timing without any adverse effects. Actually, many advance cam timing a few degrees to increase low end torque and improve idle. Others retard the cam a few dgrees to increase top end horsepower.

If you dont line up the dots on the gears, and you are off by several teeth, SEVERE damage can result. Pistons can come into contact with the valves if the valves are opened at the wrong time. You will have to deal with bent valves or worse!
Old 03-21-2005, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damaged valves, locks, rockers, pushrods, pistons, rod bearings, and cylinder sleeves to name a few.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:39 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wow, just......wow

put the tools down and step away from the vehicle.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:44 PM
Teching In

it seems like it isnt very difficult to line up the dots on the gears, but then again i havent done a cam swap before.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:55 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrp
wow, just......wow

put the tools down and step away from the vehicle.

LOL....what JRP said.

If you MUST do it.....check, recheck, check again, then quadruple check that the dots are lined up before you finish everything up. One tooth off *could* cause severe engine damage. Buy a Helms manual too and follow it to the 'T'.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

i don't see why people think that it is so hard to line the dots up... it took all of 1 minute to line the dots up...now getting the cam sprocket on the cam was another thing...that took a little bit (5-10 min) cause the chain had 0 slack in it...so i had to pull super hard to get it to line up on the dowel and the bolt holes...this was also the first time i had done any mech. work so that might be why it took a little longer too...
Old 03-21-2005, 05:27 PM
Teching In

so it seems like there are two opinions, one it seems like some think that lining up the dots is diffucult and on the other hand its not" don't see why people think that it is so hard to line the dots up... it took all of 1 minute to line the dots up" kind of hard to decide what to do.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:06 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

its not very hard at all to line up the dots, may take a few tries but no more then a 20 minute job.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:48 PM
Teching In

so it seems that i just have to take my time and check as many times to make sure its lined up. anybody know of a way to check if they are lined up right or just wait till it blows...............!!!!!
Old 03-21-2005, 06:57 PM
Teching In

your kidding right?
just look at the sprockets and make sure the dots are lined up.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:04 PM
Teching In

yeah i got that, but just wondering if any body had any tips on how to check is all. Sorry if i seem stupid but dont want to damage anything.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:05 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

just pay a shop too do it, you dont come across as very mechically inclined. better to pay someone so its done right then to **** it up yourself.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

let me recorrect myself...it was easy but i'm sure it was easier for me...cam was already installed i just put in a new timing chain...i turned the engine over till the dots lined up...then i installed the crank sprocket to where the dot was up the i installed the cam sprocket to where the dot was down and the dowel fit in...then i tightened it up...the dots lined up and reassembled everything...should i have spun the crank some to see if it stayed lined up...i don't see how i could have messed this part up
Old 03-21-2005, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls1_cam
yeah i got that, but just wondering if any body had any tips on how to check is all. Sorry if i seem stupid but dont want to damage anything.
I use a toothpick. The ends of the toothpick are right at the dots and it lets u see if the teeth are lined up. If the ends of the toothpick touch both dots u r good to go. Oh yeah, throw the toothpick away after u check your dots, or just stick it back in your mouth like I did.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:49 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jrp
just pay a shop too do it, you dont come across as very mechically inclined. better to pay someone so its done right then to **** it up yourself.
Damn JRP..... yer hard
He prolly really oughta' find a bud whose done it once or twice to give him a hand.... but hey everyone's gotta do their first one sometime. Only way to learn. If he ****** something up... he'll have learned a very valuable lesson.

Haynes manual + proper tools + common sense = successful mod install(most of the time ).

Key words: Common Sense.

Good luck bud!
Old 03-21-2005, 10:25 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by LowETz
Damn JRP..... yer hard
He prolly really oughta' find a bud whose done it once or twice to give him a hand.... but hey everyone's gotta do their first one sometime. Only way to learn. If he ****** something up... he'll have learned a very valuable lesson.

Haynes manual + proper tools + common sense = successful mod install(most of the time ).

Key words: Common Sense.

Good luck bud!

im not trying to be hard but the consequences of ******* up are huge. he just doesnt come across as compitent enough to do it alone. i'd at least get some help from someone local who's got the experience and can help him out.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:17 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the tips yeah i have someone whos done it actually 4 times to his car but just trying to get a few pointers from the pros. sorry if i came across as an idiot but i have done some mods to my car just nt a cam.