Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust port question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 08:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exhaust port question

If you have two heads that have the same flow numbers on the intake port and similar intake port volume (leading to similar port velocity) but the exhaust ports are different, head "T" has significantly better exhaust flow than head "A". What does that get you in terms of HP and torque for any given engine combination?

The reason I am asking the question is that I am going to purchase some brand T heads for my engine. Brand T seems to have the strongest exhaust port out on the market...what does a a better exhaust port do for you (in regards to flow and velocity)?
Old 03-23-2005, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you're getting the "with" and "without" pipe flow numbers so you can have as accurate a comparison as possible given different testing facilities.

99% of the time the better exhaust port will make more power, but the gain in power grows as the engine size grows, or with the addition of a power adder. In the case of a large cube engine with a power adder, the gains would be very significant.

the only time I know of where a bigger/better exhaust port might hurt would be on an extremely small displacement engine with a low RPM range.