Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what causes the sewing machine sound with cams

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 07:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MGorman
I’ve got AFR heads the Comp 921 springs and a Comp 224/228 581/588 cam. The valve train noise is LOUD. Everything is put together right. That’s just the way it is.

There’s no missing this noise, even people that know nothing about cars notice it.

PS I had headers on the car before the heads and cam were installed. With the stock cam and valve springs I had little to no valve train noise.
This is just like my set up except for Magnacharger and Patriot Gold Gual springs. And yes before swap no or little noise and now it's a loud sewing machine. Hmmmm.... what oil are you running?
Old 04-15-2005, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JCMGTO
This is just like my set up except for Magnacharger and Patriot Gold Gual springs. And yes before swap no or little noise and now it's a loud sewing machine. Hmmmm.... what oil are you running?
First let me say “WOW”. Your car must be a monster with the H/C and the Magnacharger!

I run Mobil1 5-30 oil. I actually had a very reputable tuner listen to the noise. He told me that the noise was normal and that the Comp 921 springs were responsible for the noise. I did not ask for an explanation. The noise has always stayed the same and the car runs great, so I’m really not worried about it.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the sewing machine noise. Stock valvetrain except Comp springs and new Comp OEM lifters. Stock rockers/pushrods/etc. Had the noise before and after the replacement of the lifters.

Quick Reply: what causes the sewing machine sound with cams