Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

throttle bodies and NA setup suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle bodies and NA setup suggestions

i have a 2002 camaro z28 and i am thinkin of buying a new throttle body, what kind of performance would i be looking at and is it worth the money? as far as NA setups go i am looking at getting stage two heads a new crank, a new cam, new intake, headers a y pipe and the slp hood. is there something else that i should be looking into to increase my performance?
Old 04-07-2005, 11:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

why exactly would you get a new crank(presumably forged?) w/o replacing the rest of your internals? just wonderin...usually its the other way around. the stock crank is pretty beefy for OEM....good til ~800hp.

second off, you're missing an underdrive pulley. that'd free up a decent bit of hp. when you say intake, i hope you mean a lid or something, b/c you already have an LS6 intake manifold on your car(2001+ came w/them). and yes, you can get your stock tb ported and it will net you between 6-10rwhp on average, sometimes more on a heavily modded car.

third, post up what kinds of headers, heads and cam you're thinking about. you should match the cam to the heads, and you should stay away from SLP headers. the more info you give us, the better we can help ya!!
Old 04-07-2005, 11:37 PM
Teching In

the cam is a tr224 lsa 114 with stage two heads from AFR, trickflow or edlebrock. i wanted to know if it is worth the money to get stage two ans opposed to stage one. my car is a daily driver as well. Texas speed has a package with stae two heads and cam for 1999 that says it will give close to 500 hp. slp also has a package that promises 500 hp. hooker super comp headers and y pipe. as well as the k&n FIPK intake.

Last edited by treydies; 04-07-2005 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

stay away from SLP crap...thats pretty much the consensus except for their lids and their subframes.

hooker super comps should work well, i prefer stainless, they last longer/look better(in time).

you might want to hit up Tony Mamo @ AFR cuz they have a cam thats been makin some crazy power w/those heads. optimize your setup whenever possible!! you'd prolly want 205's unless you are building a pure race car, they'll give you better down low tq from what i understand.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

Also if you're looking at 500 hp, look for a new clutch and maybe a lightweight flywheel, need the equipment to back that power up! Also a 12 bolt, girdle, and get some tires! Drag radials if its a daily driver, slicks are too much for that, i wanna get some nitto 555r's when i get the money.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:23 AM
Teching In

what about the stuff from the summit catalog are their heads and cams any good?