Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Led astray by mistake in Service Manual

Old 05-02-2005, 08:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Led astray by mistake in Service Manual

The sprocket diagram on page 6-374 of the 2002 Camaro Firebird Service Manual is incorrect. The configuration depicted is not possible. The question is whether the cam sprocket dot should be at 6 o'clock or whether the cam index pin should be at 9 o'clock. I had been assuming that cylinder #1 TDC at dot-to-dot (Cam dot at 6 o'clock) is the end of the compression stroke. I therefore concluded that the cam dot should be at 6 o'clock in the diagram. This led to much confusion while installing my rocker arms. It took me less than twelve hours to realize that the dot-to-dot position places cylinder #1 at the end of the exhaust stroke and that the error in the diagram is that the cam pattern should be rotated 180 degrees. Clockwise or counter clockwise, take your pick.

-Gary
Old 05-08-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary Z
The sprocket diagram on page 6-374 of the 2002 Camaro Firebird Service Manual is incorrect. The configuration depicted is not possible. The question is whether the cam sprocket dot should be at 6 o'clock or whether the cam index pin should be at 9 o'clock. I had been assuming that cylinder #1 TDC at dot-to-dot (Cam dot at 6 o'clock) is the end of the compression stroke. I therefore concluded that the cam dot should be at 6 o'clock in the diagram. This led to much confusion while installing my rocker arms. It took me less than twelve hours to realize that the dot-to-dot position places cylinder #1 at the end of the exhaust stroke and that the error in the diagram is that the cam pattern should be rotated 180 degrees. Clockwise or counter clockwise, take your pick.

-Gary
This is a little off topic, but I saw that you have the service manual and was wondering if you could locate where the crank position sensor is exactly on the LS1. I'm having trouble finding it as I've already swapped my new LQ9 block in and can't see down by the starter to locate it. Thanks!

Search this Thread