Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H/C install tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005 | 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

alright well we finished at about 9:30pm tonight (Sat) so it took us 17 hours from start to first crank...alright here's the trouble..

at first everything ran fine, it cranked right up and found idle really fast...i was surprized, so we let it run a bit and once we thought everything was fine, we cleaned up and headed back to base....well while driving i noticed my car started to get really hot..and then the oil pressure started to drop, and i started to hear a knocking/clicking when my car was under a load...i know over heating can cause low pressure and knocking...i broke my temp sensor when changing it from one head to the other, so i wasnt actualy able to read a reading on my gauge, but ill get a new one in the morning....but i could tell it was deffently hot...my buddy thinks there is a air pocket in my cooling system, so hopefully that is what it is...ill do more investigating tomorrow and let you know how it goes....

well even though all that happened i made a video of the first startup when everything was running good, and if anyone wants to host it for me ill send it to you...thanks

Jon
Old 05-07-2005 | 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Lets get that video up!!

This is great reading. I bookmarked it for my install later this month. Congrats on the install man!
Old 05-07-2005 | 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hot engine = thin oil. Thin oil = lower oil pressure and probably detonation. Hopefully you put the gaskets on right and arent blocking any coolant holes, that would be bad. You'll know soon enough.

let us know how it turns out.
Old 05-08-2005 | 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

alright well im in the process of uploading the vid right now...ill make a new post and put the link here, so the vid doesnt get lost in this old post...

Jon

*note* this vid is through a catted Y, havent put the ORY on yet...

Last edited by SilverStreak1830; 05-08-2005 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-08-2005 | 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1Adam
Lets get that video up!!

This is great reading. I bookmarked it for my install later this month. Congrats on the install man!
thanks man, good luck to you as well...the install really isnt all that diffecult, just pay attention and give yourself alil time...alil tip, when you get everything back together and you start to put coolant back in the car, take the temp sensor out of the head, and start to fill it up, that will let all the air out of the motor, or atleast alot of it, and when coolant starts to pore out of the hole, just plug it back up...i had a air pocket in mine and it was causing me to overheat, so i did this to get the air out....(the sensor is on the front of the head on the drivers side)

Jon
Old 05-08-2005 | 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

link to vid here: TEA heads, F14 cam idle vid