Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 07:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

20 minutes? 2.5 minutes per plug. Engine must have been out of the car on a stand.

BS!
Old 06-18-2005, 07:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
20-25 minutes! Thats absolutely amazing! I must be really slow....I'm sure longtubes help also. I can see doing the drivers side in 20-25 minutes, but both? You guys must have some long, skinny arms.

Been turnin wrenches for over 40 years..aint no big thing..just swappin plugs...I can't figure out how it takes so long for some people unless your are takin a nap between each plug...
Old 06-18-2005, 08:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slt200mph
Been turnin wrenches for over 40 years..aint no big thing..just swappin plugs...I can't figure out how it takes so long for some people unless your are takin a nap between each plug...

Well, those of us that don't turn wrenches for a living have to psyche ourselves up for each and every step of the process.

For example, you have to spend a few minutes with each plug, assuring it that it WANTS to come out of the car, and that it DOES NOT want to break off, and the the threads DO NOT want to strip. While you're doing this, you visualize, only briefly, the consequences of a any of those things happening. The plug and the car WILL see those consequences, and the car especially will do what it can to insure that none of those bad things happen - after all, the car WANTS to be driven!!

While you're "becoming one" with each plug, you're also assuring yourself that you WILL apply torque in a true, circular fashion, and that you WILL NOT push at an angle and you WILL NOT break the damn plug off.

Some things take longer than others - plugs, especially the rear ones, could take 10-15 minutes of assurance before you can actually get in there and remove them.

I won't tell you how long it took me to replace the knock sensor on my car
Old 06-18-2005, 09:30 AM
Launching!

U Guys Are Cry About Changing Ls1 Sparkplugs, The Lt1 Is A Bigger Pain. I Use To Have A 95 Z28.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01ArcticSS
Well, those of us that don't turn wrenches for a living have to psyche ourselves up for each and every step of the process.

For example, you have to spend a few minutes with each plug, assuring it that it WANTS to come out of the car, and that it DOES NOT want to break off, and the the threads DO NOT want to strip. While you're doing this, you visualize, only briefly, the consequences of a any of those things happening. The plug and the car WILL see those consequences, and the car especially will do what it can to insure that none of those bad things happen - after all, the car WANTS to be driven!!

While you're "becoming one" with each plug, you're also assuring yourself that you WILL apply torque in a true, circular fashion, and that you WILL NOT push at an angle and you WILL NOT break the damn plug off.

Some things take longer than others - plugs, especially the rear ones, could take 10-15 minutes of assurance before you can actually get in there and remove them.

I won't tell you how long it took me to replace the knock sensor on my car

I do not turn wrenches for a living...(read sig)...and this is a no whinning zone.. ..if you use the correct tools for the job it makes the job very EZ...if you use dielectric grease and antiseize on the plugs every thing will go very smoothly..quit bonding with each nut, bolt, screw, and spark plug and do the freeeeking task...geeeeze...
Old 06-18-2005, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I do not turn wrenches for a living...(read sig)
My bad.....didn't read that

.....if you use dielectric grease and antiseize on the plugs every thing will go very smoothly.
Are they greased/antiseized from the factory? Just curious...I just plain don't know.

......quit bonding with each nut, bolt, screw, and spark plug and do the freeeeking task...geeeeze...
When I can say I've been doing it for forty years, I'll probably feel the same way, but since I can't say that, I'll keep bonding with them!

Oh, and I wasn't whining - hope that wasn't meant for me - I was just providing a different persepctive!!
Old 06-18-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01ArcticSS
My bad.....didn't read that

Are they greased/antiseized from the factory? Just curious...I just plain don't know.

When I can say I've been doing it for forty years, I'll probably feel the same way, but since I can't say that, I'll keep bonding with them!

Oh, and I wasn't whining - hope that wasn't meant for me - I was just providing a different persepctive!!

No they do not come with the dielectric grease or antisieze on them...you need to purchase those items at the auto parts store a long with a gap guage..put the grease on the porcelin (white part) portion of the plug and the anti sieze on the threads of the plug after you gap the plugs..do not trust a plug being gapped correctly out of the box...you are now a graduate of spark plug preperation 101....
Old 06-18-2005, 01:10 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....4&postcount=35
Old 06-18-2005, 01:34 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Well I've been turning wrenches for over 40 years myself - and I can't change the sumbiches in 20 freakin' minutes w/air,egr,stock headers etc.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

I did not have AIR or EGR on stock exhaust and definately do not have it on the after market headers. 20-25 minutes is no magic trick without the smog crap in the way and no coil pack removal.....stop by the ATL and I'll show ya how its done..
Old 06-18-2005, 02:14 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Yeah , it's all the smog crap that slows me up on bank 2. I can breeze through bank 1 and I can get #8 from underneath, but #6 & #4 kinda give my old back a pain.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gwj
Yeah , it's all the smog crap that slows me up on bank 2. I can breeze through bank 1 and I can get #8 from underneath, but #6 & #4 kinda give my old back a pain.

First mod I did was a Z06 intake and I got rid of all the smog crap at the same time..makes everything much more EZ to work on..
Old 06-19-2005, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Just send it to the dealer.
I have heard of some dealers not changing number 8. Do it yourself and then you know it is done right IMO.

Bill
Old 06-19-2005, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Talking

Originally Posted by vodas00ss
what kinda mileage are you guys puttin on your plugs before you change them?
I change my about every 5-10K. That is about once a year. I only have 24K and have changed mine about 4 times- one time was when I installed a cam,etc...

Bill
Old 06-19-2005, 10:16 AM
Banned

It only takes me about 30 minutes to knock out....Having nitrous on LS1s in 98 before there were real tuners out there made me a master at changing these damn plugs
Old 06-20-2005, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bill Bowling
I have heard of some dealers not changing number 8. Do it yourself and then you know it is done right IMO.

Bill
Old 06-20-2005, 02:27 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TA BOY
U Guys Are Cry About Changing Ls1 Sparkplugs, The Lt1 Is A Bigger Pain. I Use To Have A 95 Z28.
Isn't that the truth! I have a 2001 LS1, but still have a '92 TA. The LS1 is cake, even with headers.