Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kinda odd recommendations from Futral?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need my fiance to be able to talk about cams like Candy does. Im jealous.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Candy
The PRC 5.3 hasnt been tested on all of the cams yet and I know we just got a set about a month ago so anytime he is not sure that something will definitely fit he will not speculate he will let you know that the only way to be sure is the check the ptv clearance. Allan has never been someone of alot of words so just to let you know he is not being short or vague intentionally. Now that we have a PRC 5.3 head I will revisit this question with him and get back to you.

Thanks
Oh yeah! That would be sweet. I'm not complaining, mind you. I was more like a little puzzled as to where to find out since I live overseas and planning my parts well is a necessity.
I envy people that live within 100 miles from Futral and Allen's expertise.
Thank God for you I don't, you would probably put a restraining order on me LOL
Your help would be so appreciated. Thanks Candy.
Mark
Old 06-21-2005, 11:02 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
Candy,

You have a sister? Cause I need someone like you to help around my shop!

Bret

Sorry, I dont have a sister, Im sure we could clone one up pretty soon..

Originally Posted by 93LS1RX7
I need my fiance to be able to talk about cams like Candy does. Im jealous.
Think hard about that because then you will argue about car mods along with everything else..

Originally Posted by PREDATORZ
I envy people that live within 100 miles from Futral and Allen's expertise.
Thank God for you I don't, you would probably put a restraining order on me LOL
No restraining order, I would just put you to work..lol
Old 06-21-2005, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I were close to Futral as well...I wouldn't mind working for people like that.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Candy, I talked to my builder today and he'll have volumetric measurements this weekend.

I'll contact Allan when I have the facts.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Oh yes I know he is busy, but given the head specs, with his experience i'm sure he could come up with a ballpark answer.
I've inqired by e-mail as to the (FM9 fitting PRC 5.3L 62cc (2.04 int/1.585 exh) with GM .054 compressed gasket, .007 piston out of hole) and after a week the answer was " You'll just have to check it out".
To me that didn't sell me the cam for sure. i do not want to flycut so the answer before purchase is imperative. my thought was, "fewwww, that is a lot of help )
Perhaps could you help Candy??
Predator dude. I understand the desire to get an easy "ballpark" yes or no answer, but is it not an oxymoron to ask for a ballpark answer to a detailed engineering question?

I've talked to Futral staff a few times and each time learned more about the variables involved with PtoV. I didn't realize how much the valve job alone could impact clearence issues.

We're pushing the envelope trying to make more power out of our LSx motors. The only for certain answer is that stock heads with stock valves will clear the pistons when using the stock cam and valave train.

Don't mean to be be flippent, you've been helpful to me and I can apreicaite your being out of the country. I live in a real rural area and finding parts can be a PITA I'm still using your compression calculator playing with all the different possibilities.

Citing the fact that Candy is married and so am I...I'll withhold any comments about talking to a sweet southern accented young lady with more knowledge about motors than I do being any kind of a turn on
Old 06-21-2005, 03:12 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey ssheets.
Last I looked cometic didn't offer a .042 gasket.
They had .045 and a .040
When using a .040 gasket you will get the 11.1 CR your after with no milling of the heads. With no milling and the .045 gasket you get just over 10.85:1 CR.
I would mill the heads about 6-8 thousands and use the .045 gasket for the compression you seek, or dont mill at all and use the .040 gasket.

As far as clearence goes.
I would flycut and be safe. If I was a beting man I would bet it dosen't fit without flycuting.
Just my oponion. The valve job will be a big factor.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GrannySShifting
Bruce FM13 idles like a baby. Would you be willing to try something in that size/overlap?
I'm staying conservative with the Vette. Want something smaller than that. F11, on a 114 is probably perfect cam for me.

Bruce
Old 06-21-2005, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JZ'sTA
hey ssheets.
Last I looked cometic didn't offer a .042 gasket.
They had .045 and a .040
When using a .040 gasket you will get the 11.1 CR your after with no milling of the heads. With no milling and the .045 gasket you get just over 10.85:1 CR.
I would mill the heads about 6-8 thousands and use the .045 gasket for the compression you seek, or dont mill at all and use the .040 gasket.

As far as clearence goes.
I would flycut and be safe. If I was a beting man I would bet it dosen't fit without flycuting.
Just my oponion. The valve job will be a big factor.
Yeah and $150 to $200 with a 3 week lead time. TSI has them in stock though. We'll see what the cahmbers CC at and go from there. If I can get the chambers down to 60cc with no more than .04-6" milling I'll just run the stock 0.053" graphites and call it good.

At least that sounds good for now...I'll talk to Allan when I get the cc numbers in and see what he suggests.

I'm definitely going to have to measure up first if need be I might have to buy the Cometics or just settle for 10.8:1 or so????
Old 06-21-2005, 07:56 PM
Banned

just a side not boys, i called futral today about some stuff and i agree, Candy is awesome...she sounds HOT on the phone, and her reccomendations were great as well!!!
Old 06-21-2005, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by liftin'em on nittos
just a side not boys, i called futral today about some stuff and i agree, Candy is awesome...she sounds HOT on the phone, and her reccomendations were great as well!!!
Well it is hot down there in LA this time of year
Old 06-21-2005, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Why do I have a feeling that the tech questions are going to increase now?(...as if they were not already slammed with calls.)

Oh well,....I hope the sales fallow

Candy,
Thanks for your time today!
Old 06-21-2005, 08:49 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by liftin'em on nittos

Yep it was pretty hot today, dont know if its the weather or talking about cars all day
Old 06-21-2005, 08:52 PM
Banned

oh snap!!! hehe, thanks again Candy
Old 06-21-2005, 09:40 PM
11 Second Club

Candy,I been trying to get someone on the phone for about 2 weeks now. when is a good time to call?? could you pm me a price on a dyno tune?
Old 06-21-2005, 09:58 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ldickson
Candy,I been trying to get someone on the phone for about 2 weeks now. when is a good time to call?? could you pm me a price on a dyno tune?
Im almost positive I left you a voice mail about the dyno tuning. But just sent you a PM.

Thanks
Candy
Old 06-21-2005, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I tried calling all day today too. When I purchased my cam package we included a gasket set, but I didn't know at the time which gasket to use ( I still don't). Since I had the cam package sent to my builder I never saw the invoice and don't know if I was charged for it or not? (I told Kip to put in on my bill, just not sure if he did?) So I was going to ask that and what head gaskets you'all (souther influx ) have in stock.

Also, when my builder go tthe cam package he unpacked everything expecting to debur the springs and retainers, but to his surprise everything had been hand cleaned and was ready to go. He told me everything I bought looked top quality. This is from an old time engine builder that has quite a resume.

Thanks again and I'll try calling tomorrow when I get a chance.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ssheets
Predator dude. I understand the desire to get an easy "ballpark" yes or no answer, but is it not an oxymoron to ask for a ballpark answer to a detailed engineering question?

I've talked to Futral staff a few times and each time learned more about the variables involved with PtoV. I didn't realize how much the valve job alone could impact clearence issues.

We're pushing the envelope trying to make more power out of our LSx motors. The only for certain answer is that stock heads with stock valves will clear the pistons when using the stock cam and valave train.

Don't mean to be be flippent, you've been helpful to me and I can apreicaite your being out of the country. I live in a real rural area and finding parts can be a PITA I'm still using your compression calculator playing with all the different possibilities.

Citing the fact that Candy is married and so am I...I'll withhold any comments about talking to a sweet southern accented young lady with more knowledge about motors than I do being any kind of a turn on

I agree SSheets,
What meant by "ballpark figure" is will it fit without flycutting. I cannot flycut here so if cam is borderline, then suggest a close alternative that will fit.
All cams should be degreed anyways so it will be "checked" anyways.
But I do not want to get the FM9, only to find out I need to flycut and then I have to ship back (one way shipping cost me ($150+))
Now FM7 is too small and within my actual cam range.
Perhaps a FM8 1/2