Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS-6 Longblock?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 01:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LS-6 Longblock?

Some crazy ideas go through my head sometimes, and I need some sane reasoning from others to find the flaws in my thinking.

I've seen where I can get a brand new LS-6 longblock from GM for just a tad over $5K, with a new F-body oil pan included! My car has about 90K miles on it, and is running fine, but I've been thinking this could be a quick way into some more horsepower and a fresh engine at the same time. My car is a 1999 30th anniversary T/A convertible. I bring this up, since it might have some collector value somewhere down the road, and I figure that having the original engine still installed might be an issue for collectors. Since this is a bit of a collector car, and since I live in California (smog laws), I also figure I don't want to do too many radical mods to the car. My plans are to keep the stock WS-6 exhaust system, including some form of stock-looking exhaust manifold. I would probably get an LS-6 intake, though.

So, finally to the point: First, am I going to notice much of a performance gain running the LS-6 motor through a stock WS-6 exhaust system? Second, are there VIN markings on LS-series engine blocks that collectors might later use to identify whether or not an engine was factory-installed or not? I figure if there is a VIN identifier, the "numbers matching" thing might become an issue on these cars down the road.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked under the hood of my 30th, I didn't see any Engine codes on it. Of course that doesn't mean it isn't there. I want to know that info as well. However, that LS6 looks just like an LS1. As far as collector value, I am not holding my breath. My buddy has a Turbo T/A (20th) and that thing is just now starting to hold some sort of value to it. As much as I would love to see the 30th worth something someday, I won't hold my breath. I just don't drive it and I am one of those people that buy cars and never sell them (just look at my sig).

On another note, if that LS6 is identical, I wouldn't mind picking one up for my 2002.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:00 PM
Banned

The LS6 head has a 243 casting number stamped right on it.
that is a noticeable difference.
The LS6 comes with a LS6 intake instead of the LS1 like the 2000 had.
You will have a LS6 block with is noticeable with a mirror and some careful looking around. Everything else looks very similar.
You will gain around 30-50HP as you will have a LS6 cam a much better set of heads, more compression and a LS6 intake.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest with you I highly doubt these cars have any collector type value to them. BTW there would be hardly no way someone could tell because some of the cars came with the ls6 block. I guess you could tell by the head casting number since that won't be the same. I don't think someone will be upset if you have a stock gm ls6 engine in it
Old 07-18-2005, 04:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the info. I figure there must be different casting numbers, etc. on the engine. But sometimes they actually stamp the VIN itself on the block, which can lead to "numbers matching" insanity in the collector market. I'm also a Mopar guy, and having the original, numbers-matching engine in your sixties musclecar can add 30% or more to the value of the car. Even if you have the "correct" type of engine in it, with the right casting numbers and date code, it won't matter, since collectors are looking for the actual VIN sequence number to be stamped into the block, indicating it was THE engine that was installed at the factory.

And SOMFormula, if you're interested, check out the engine deal at:

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm

Enter in Part Number: 12498399

SDPC also has it, for about $250 more.