Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help...major issue!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs down Need some help...major issue!!

My car has been giving me fits lately. It actually all started right when my transmission was on its way out. I don't think that has anything to do with it but I thought I might mention it.

The symptoms right now is that the car has been getting the worse gas mileage I have ever seen. I'm getting about 180 miles on highway driving about 130-150 in city. Plus this is where it gets a little aggrevating b/c no codes are being thrown. After the car is warm (normal driving) and when I shut the car off for about 10-15 mins, restart it and give it gas, it will literally stall. Actually it's stalled on me a couple of times. The times it doesn't, about 2-3 seconds later, the power just kicks in. Then it will sputter for a bit and then it will go back to normal until the car gets shut off again. It's almost like the car isn't getting any gas and then all of a sudden it does. The car will hesitate when normal cruising and the power just doesn't seem to be there like before.

This only does it when it's warm...cold starts are fine other then a little surging.

So now here is what I have done to try and correct the problem. I've already told you that no codes are being thrown what so ever. I've put new plugs in it, new fuel filter, new o2's, wires are fine, switched MAF's from another car, and cleaned the air filter. I've even put a recent tune in it thinking that was the problem and it didn't fix it. Also when tuning it, we were data logging it and nothing was abnormal at all.

Now I'm to the point I'm stuck. I honestly cannot think what it is. I've thought about maybe a bent valve but I'm not getting any loud ticking noise at all. I could pull the heads and look, but if I do that, then I want to make sure that's the problem before I do so.

I'm looking for any help from anyone. I'm getting really fed up with the car...to a point where I just can't stand driving it anymore and want to sell it. I came close tonight of being in a serious accident b/c of this problem and I just don't know what to do.

Thanks to all that reply.
Jake
Old 07-18-2005, 10:12 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about fuel pump, filter or injectors?
Old 07-18-2005, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Filter is brand new...just threw it on this weekend. Tried getting a fuel pressure guage on it but came to find out the guage was broke. Thing is with the fuel pump, I'm having no cranking problems (cold or warm start) when starting the car. I would think that I would if the pump was going out.

Injectors are pretty new. Been on the car for about 20k.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:57 PM
TECH Regular

Have you checked either the O2's or the MAF?
Old 07-19-2005, 07:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ArKay99
Have you checked either the O2's or the MAF?

As I said in the original post, o2's are brand new and looked fine when I was logging it over the weekend. I cleaned the MAF along with switching it out with a buddy's of mine. Problem still occurs.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:45 AM
Teching In

Catalack Converter Cloged Try That.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm running no cats.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:56 AM
Teching In

spark plug wires?