Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scuffs on head?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Scars on head? Will it cause hot spots?

Were putting the motor back together and saw these little scar marks on one head. They are on the circle part that hangs above the piston, but not were the valves are, they are next to them. I'm suprised it didn't scuff up the ported part were the valves are, but that part looks nice and smooth. The scuff marks aren't that large, I think theres only 6 of them or so, and they are only on one circle. I would say none are larger than .1" How much milling would that be to flatten the heads? I know a picture would be best, but I dont have access to them right now. What should I do? I can have them milled a little bit, but that would give me less piston to valve clearance with my G5x4 cam. My JE pistons do have valve reliefs, but I do not know how to calculate all that to see if the valves will hit the pistons. PLus my block has been decked, so not sure if that gives me even less space. The heads are Absolute Speed 5.7's that have been milled 5 thousenths. How much would the compression raise if they were milled 20 thousenths?

Is rewelding on them and them removing that part any good? I was told that I shouldn't use the heads as they are now because they will cause hot spots. Any advice? thanks

Last edited by Jimmy P; 07-21-2005 at 02:18 AM.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TTT