Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Main Seal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Rear Main Seal?

So, I found an oil leak, but its only about a teaspoon per night when it's parked. Here's the problem though, its coming from between the bell housing and the transmission (T56). Now I know theres not supposed to be oil in the bell housing, so I'm guessing its the rear main, but I do have a few questions.

1) Is there something else that could be leaking into the bell housing? (I want to make sure I get all the parts so whatever I find is leaking when I get in there, I have the parts ready to install)

2) How much oil would likely build up in the bell housing before it would actually leak out between the bell and the tranny?

3) Any chance this could be hydraulic fluid from the Slave? (I've only got about 10K on the slave)

4) Should I avoid racing the car untill I get the oil leak fixed?

5) Does anyone know where I can find a rear main seal installation walk through with pictures?

FYI - I have 104,000 Miles on the car and it routinely (2-3 times/month) sees over 130mph (3100 rpm - sustained for about 20-30 mins) on the autobahn here in Germany. It used about 1 qt every 3000 miles (before the leak) depending on how much highspeed driving I did, but no white smoke, not even on cold starts (probably needs a catch can). Oil pressure is right around 40 at idle and I'm running Royal Purple 5w-30. Motor is stock and only a few bolt-ons (lid, K&N, FRAM, cat back, ASP Pulley).

Any help would be really appreciated I've tried searching but can't seem to find the same problem.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-22-2005, 05:28 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's oil, then it's 1 of 3 things:

1 - Rear main seal

2 - Rear cover gasket

3 - oil pressure sending unit is cracked and leaking down the back end of the motor.

Pull the tranny and inspect the rear cover. It is held in place with 10mm bolts. Take it off and look at the gasket. The rear main seal is part of this unit. It sits right in the center, and you had better replace it while you've gone this far. Just whck it out from the backside with a hammer and a chisel, screwdriver, whatever. Then lay the rear cover face up and place the new rear main seal over it's seat, and push it into place, and then cover it with a piece of wood and give it a good whack with a hammer. It'll go right in with 1 good shot.

If it's hydraulic fluid, just check your fluid level. You can race your car with a small leak, but get it fixed and save the headaches that it will cost you for months to come.

This really requires no write up at all. Just take it off and do as noted above.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:39 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could also be the pan since it has presure going through it to the filter. YOu will not know for sure until you pull the trany and find the culprit. if the rear seal make sure you treat it with care it is one of the harder seals to get to seat right.