Sponsored by:

Intermittent engine knock...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent engine knock...

Ok Gang,

In addition to my Z, the wife has a 2000 impala with a 3.4L V6. It leaks coolant around the intake, which is common, and I got ready to tear it down when all of a sudden, we heard a knocking sound from inside the engine. Its not the top valve train, and it will knock a few times when first started, then randomly every few seconds. I revved the engine and it did that fine without knocking, but when the rpm's were dropping off, it would knock. I used the old stethoscope tool and it sounded like the middle of the engine.

I do not believe it is a rod because it is not continually knocking, nor has it come out of the block. My thoughts are a lifter going bad. Now that I have the intake off, I checked and they all have close to the same tension on the pushrods, and nothing looks damaged, or obvious. Before I pull the lifters out, can someone tell me how to check them, because they are $23.00 each and I don't want to have to replace all if I don't have to.

Also, any other ideas what could cause the knock or other things I should look for? I know this is an LS1 forum, but you guys have always helped in the past.....

Jim
Old 08-08-2005, 01:19 PM
Launching!

It is Piston Slap. If you are not burning oil don't worry about it. They all do it. Just turn the radio up untill the car warms up.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:40 PM
Teching In

I wish it was the case.........its the wifes V6....3.4 and it knocks......but not a piston knock....does anyone know how to test the lifters to see if they are bad....I like the radio turned up theory...but the wife would shoot me if I put it back together and did not fix it right........lol
Old 08-08-2005, 09:30 PM
Teching In

bump to the top in case someone has a way of telling me how to test hydrulic lifters to see if they are good or not...........

Quick Reply: Intermittent engine knock...