Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder wall scuffing - what to do??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder wall scuffing - what to do??

First off, I searched quite a bit and didn't find much useful, which is surprising since somebody else must have had this issue.

Anyway, I am doing a heads/cam swap on my car. The engine is stock internals. Got the heads off, chambers look good, piston tops look good. But, on 4 of the cylinders (#3, 6, 7, 8) I have some scuffing of the wall. All of the scuffs/scratches run up and down the cylinder (parallel to piston travel) and most of the scuffs are around the 6 o'clock position when looking at the engine from the top. These scuffs are enough to fell with a finger nail. They also seem to be kind of high on the cylinder to be the piston skirt, seems more like the rings may have done it but I am not sure.

My questions are:

1. any ideas as to what caused these scuffs (lack of oil, dirt ingestion, etc)
2. The more important question, what should I do about it?

Thanks, Pete.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like the scuff marks from piston slap. I havent seen them myself, but seen diagrams of what it would be. I am about to pull my heads off also and hoping that it isnt bad for me. The site about piston slap is: www.pistonslap.com someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Ski

Old 08-22-2005, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Could be piston slap. If it were ingesting dirt or something through the intake it would likely show in all cylinders, so it seems more likely to be mechanical.

Quick Reply: Cylinder wall scuffing - what to do??