Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New LS-1

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well i took it to one dealership that has done pretty much all of my work previously, and they said, new motor, or complete rebuild was what needed to be done. then the warranty company said they want a second opinion, and the second opinion was simply to replace the valve stem guides, and that's it. so i feel that im getting screwed, and they just dont want to pay for a new motor.... it's bullshit, they just want me to come back in two months when something else internally in the motor goes bad....... why are warranty companies such ********!?
Old 08-23-2005, 11:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
why are warranty companies such ********!?

because that’s how they make a living....twisting your nuts into a little ball until you scream "OK I'LL PAY!!!!!!!! I'LL PAYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

this is why most of the people in here are saying "screw the dealership and go do it somewhere else/yourself.....".....no matter how "good of a deal" they give you, it will still be hard to sit down for a while.....
Old 08-24-2005, 12:55 AM
Launching!

I bought an aftermarket extended warranty when I bought my 98 in 00 with 48k miles on it. At 63k the engine blew - broken rods/pistons/block/heads. Obviously there was no discussion about just putting in a set of valve seals but it was still a pain getting them to pay.

The warranty company would only pay $3500 for a used motor and something stupid like 13 hours labor or about $1k ($4500 total). A new crate long block was $8k at the dealer and they wanted something like 38 hours labor or about $2800 ($10,800 total) so they were a long way apart. It took a lot of arguing, faxed pages of service manual times, Etc to get them to agree on about 24 hours labor (about $1800) and I paid $1200 additional to the used motor allowance to get a new LS1 crate long block from Pace Performance ($4700).

I would have installed an LS6 for only a few hundred bucks more but GM would not warranty anything but the stock motor in the car and the warranty company would not pay to install anything that was not warrantied (even the used motor had a 12m/12k warranty).

Unfortunately, they are usually only contractually obligated to fix the problem. If you do have some problem that can be fixed for less than the $6k plus that a new or rebuilt LS1 will cost installed they will only pay for the repair.

Steve
Old 08-24-2005, 04:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

i think fred beans is selling some ls2 crate motors for 4800 and the ls6 motor is cheaper than the ls1, so either way, you should come out with one of these bad boys! probably ls6, easier install and plug and play i would think
Old 08-24-2005, 07:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
well so you know, ALL blocks being produced now are an LS6 block (the LS1 block ended production in mid 2002).....every LS1/LS6 car (corvette) made in 2003+ (till the LS2 came in) was an "LS6 block".......they just don't have the "LS6 cam" or "LS6 heads"........
is that true ..? never heard that before .. can u confirm that to me please ..

GM !! keep surprising me !!

everytime i visit dealership for some spair parts .. NO BODY KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT ANYTHING i feel like a master there ... they dont have anything official ..

one more request .. GGGGGGMMMMMM anybody home !! r they existed ??
Old 08-24-2005, 09:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well, i guess it looks like im in for a long fight here then with the warranty company....... it's unfortunate though, this car has been nothing but problems since i bought it three months ago, but i like the car and dont want to get rid of it.....