Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porting my heads this weekend. What are the gotchas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 02:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porting my heads this weekend. What are the gotchas?

I'm polishing the entire engine bay. The heads are coming off Saturady and I might as well port them while they are off. I've downloaded about 20 photos through searches and I have an idea of what needs to be done.

My main concern is hurting velocity and swirl.

I'm trying to achieve something on the level of stage 1.5 heads. Any problems I might encounter?

Thanks for any advice!!!
Old 09-16-2005, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
I'm polishing the entire engine bay. The heads are coming off Saturady and I might as well port them while they are off. I've downloaded about 20 photos through searches and I have an idea of what needs to be done.

My main concern is hurting velocity and swirl.

I'm trying to achieve something on the level of stage 1.5 heads. Any problems I might encounter?

Thanks for any advice!!!

Generally stay off the floor and concentrate on the roof. Also, remove the rocker bolt/stud boss. There is some nastyness in the casting in the bowl area too, blend this into the natural shape of the remainder of the bowl. I am far from an expert but this is what I did. One of my comp r lifters came apart though so I never had a chance to see if it made good or bad numbers. It felt strong though, for the 25 miles before the lifter came apart. I also removed most of the swirl ramp but with a 239/246 106lsa .651"/.613" cam I really wasn't to concerned with low speed manners, lol.

Good luck. Oh, and also, be carefull about taking out material around the valve guilde boss in the intake port on the exhaust side of the intake port. I went into a water jacket there (had the local machine shop weld it up for me).

Good luck.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:03 PM
Banned

Thanks bro! I'll stay away from that part of the intake port, just smooth it with sanding rolls. Stay away from the floor.

Where is the swirl you're referring to? I won't touch the chamber because I don't want to lower my compression at all.

Great advice, I appreciate it!
Old 09-16-2005, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
Thanks bro! I'll stay away from that part of the intake port, just smooth it with sanding rolls. Stay away from the floor.

Where is the swirl you're referring to? I won't touch the chamber because I don't want to lower my compression at all.

Great advice, I appreciate it!
The swirl ramp I'm refering too is at the beginning of the intake port on the roof, I almost completely removed it but did retain somewhat of it's direction. Like I said this is just what I got from doing some research. My best advice to you would be to ask many people what they think and draw your own conclusions. Good luck though, it's always good to see people try something for themselves. You probably won't have an AFR, ET, Dart, etc. head on your hands when your done but it will flow better then stock (unless you go nutz) which is always a win win situation if you ask me, especially for the money invested.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Just what he said mainly and concentrate on blending instead of enlarging
Old 09-16-2005, 04:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bo White
Just what he said mainly and concentrate on blending instead of enlarging
Ok. Thanks again all!