Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam and spring?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam and spring?

I've been saving up for cam swap and other mods on my 98 6spd T/A. The car is my dd. It has 84k on the clock so i'll be replacing the timing set and oil pump, moly pushrods and Ti retainers other mods will include pacesetter LT's w/ORY and ls6 intake. My question is what kind cam and springs should I go with? I dont care about a choppy idle as long as it idles and doesnt die and i dont want a cam that chews through valve springs i only like to do things once! I want to get as much out of it as possible without running into driveability problems.

Last edited by 98TA_vert; 10-14-2005 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

i'm in the same boat as you right now my friend
Old 10-14-2005, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

man i searched and searched and cant find any solid info everybody i know is bolt-on or full race
Old 10-14-2005, 11:40 PM
Staging Lane

Checkout the Ligenfelter cams. Most are real easy on valvetrain (low lift). I got the GT2/3, which is barely mild - but my goal at the end (with all bolts ons) is only to have 400bwhp. I don't want to upgrade the driveline, unless it breaks - not because I am making too many ponies.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

i bought a HPE grind and theyre valvetrain package. done in one day. its my DD. andi made 368hp on a mustang dyno. (didnt get a chance to put it on a dynojet) i love it....thats Longtubes and cam only!!!!!
Old 10-15-2005, 12:01 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98TA_vert
I've been saving up for cam swap and other mods on my 98 6spd T/A. The car is my dd. It has 84k on the clock so i'll be replacing the timing set and oil pump, moly pushrods and Ti retainers other mods will include pacesetter LT's w/ORY and ls6 intake. My question is what kind cam and springs should I go with? I dont care about a choppy idle as long as it idles and doesnt die and i dont want a cam that chews through valve springs i only like to do things once! I want to get as much out of it as possible without running into driveability problems.
This is as much based on what you want out of your combo and your car. What works for someone else may not be something you like. I will tell you that our TR224 has been a good cam for our DD. If you go with a 114 LSA it will idle a little smoother.

I am a big fan of the Comp 918s but then again I found the PRC Kit (Duals) for a great price at TSP, so we are replacing our old 918s with the PRCs. If you want longevity and peace of mind, IMHO (opinion only), go with a solid dual spring kit like Patriot, PRC, or if you have the money the Comp 921s.

Really it is about what you want though... It is hard to come on and tell someone what Cam they should run because it is something you should research a little and talk to a few people about what best fits your needs!

Good luck!