Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headgaskets? 97-01 style or 02+ style?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 12:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headgaskets? 97-01 style or 02+ style?

Ok, so the heads have to come off of my car... it seems that the lifter in cylinder 1 on the intake side has seized up, I have come to this conclusion after finding a worn lobe on the cam (its the width of the roller, and its only scored up on the lift portion of the cam). My car is a 99, and the heads are stock... however, I would like to know what is different between the years that makes them use different head gaskets? It seems to me that they would be the same, and it also seems that the 2002+ uses an MLS style gasket whereas the older gasket seems to be some sort of graphite. The 2002+ gaskets are also cheaper by nearly $10, which is also odd.

Should I use the newer style gasket or will it not fit?
Old 10-20-2005, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do not use the newer gasket -- you will have a coolant leak. The older graphite gaskets have a specific right and left side. There is a "notch" in your cylinder heads that will cause the newer style gaskets (newer style heads didn't have that notch) to not seal.

SDPC has a really good write up with pictures if you search for it.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Classic
Do not use the newer gasket -- you will have a coolant leak. The older graphite gaskets have a specific right and left side. There is a "notch" in your cylinder heads that will cause the newer style gaskets (newer style heads didn't have that notch) to not seal.

SDPC has a really good write up with pictures if you search for it.
Thank you for your great explanation. I figured there was a reason, however I was really curious what that reason WAS and now I know.