Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me build my LS1!!

Old 10-20-2005, 09:59 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me build my LS1!!

Hey guys and gals. I am getting ready to start building my first LS1. i currently have a 98 firebird. yeah i know y did i get the 3800 ha ha. well i needed it for college incase i couldnt find a job to save gas, insurance, etc... well i got a job now after 3 months of searching and i want to drop in the ls1! So here is what i am thinking. i can get a 98 LS1 for around 800 bux. its pretty much a stock long block with a water pump and coil packs. does this sound like an alright deal? its hard to find ANYONE near me with an LS1 and this isnt too far of a drive so im considering it. but here is what i want as far as power and package goes when im all done...

I would love to have a blown LS6 eventually. I am thinking of getting this LS1 and sticking the LS6 cam, springs, rods, and intake in there. And later of course all bolt-ons and the LS6 heads and then blowing it. Is a pretty much stock LS6 a good candidate for a blower? i really would like to keep it streetable with good mileage as best i can. Now since i am going to be using a long block, i will need a power steering pump. can i use the one off of my 3800 V6? Dont worry about where i will do this, im in college taking all automotive courses so i have all the equipment and room i need. So anyways.. what do i do here? i really want to get started so i can kill all the stupid *** STOCK MUSTANGS that go to my gf's college. everytime i pick her up i see atleast 12 mustangs (we counted) lol. i just want to destroy them so bad. Any and ALL help or constructive critisism is welcome and wanted! thanks!
Old 10-20-2005, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

I would try and get a 2001 IMO. It already has the good intake, no EGR, better PCM OS and a bunch of other items.

Bill

Old 10-20-2005, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

agreeing with what Bill said. spend a little extra so u dont have to do all the replacement work on the block by starting off with a genuine LS6. get a T56 and then all bolt on's. eventually you will get to a blower, im not sure as to how much boost you could use, depends on the condition of the internals. either way u go, good luck and have fun
Old 10-20-2005, 04:20 PM
Teching In

if your going to build a motor y not start off with an aftermarket shortblock...can be purchased assembled in the $3000 range
Old 10-20-2005, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Try the hybrid conversion section for questions about swaping in an lsx motor. Here is a link. https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps-28/ There are lots of things needed to do the swap like wire harness, computer, motor, transmission, radiator, ect. It is really much easier to just sell the current car and buy a 98. They are pretty inexpensive. As for running boost I would put in forged rods and pistons before doing boost. Stock pistons are weak and breakdown quickly if knock is present. Don't ask how I know, but it was an expensive lesson. Do some searches to for more info.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:01 PM
Launching!

for the amount i spent on the car i have right now it would be too much to try to sell it and spend more money on a car i will end up upgrading anyways so i dont see the point when someone tells me to sell it and buy an LS1 equipped car. Besides the fact that where i live, i have seen one.. thats right one LS1 car under 13k with nice miles for sale within a 35 mile radius and that was a year and a half ago. and im not about to spend anywhere near 13k bux on a damn car that old. i might as well just buy a new engine, do what i want, and still be under that price.

i have no where near 3000 dollars to spend on an assembled short block. besides i need something to do for class since i have engine rebuilding next semester. is 800 too much for a 98 long block with coils and water pump? and can i use my power steering pump from my v6 on the ls1? and about buying an 01 and newer block, will a 98 wiring harness hook up to everything fine? i need to use a 98 cuz its less hassle since i have the 98. thx again guys.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

The 98 computer has some different wiring than the later years. The 98 is the worst of the ls1's from being a weaker block, having perimeter bolt heads, and the least desirable computer. That being said 800 for a long block is not that bad of a price. However you really won't know what you bought until you tear it down and see the condition of it. I gave you the advice of looking into buying a ls1 vehicle from experience. I have replaced my whole drivetrain and all suspension parts. I do all my own work with some help from friends at times and it still costs a ton of money to work on these cars. Not only will you have to do the engine, but you will also need a transmission, computer, extra wiring, possible fuel system components, suspension, and I don't know if a v6 driveshaft will work either. That is going to add up to way more than 3k and all the nickel dime stuff adds up real quick too. You could try to look on ebay and have a company deliver the car. I am not trying to rain on your parade, but I know that it is costly whether you do the work or not. I hope if you do decide to rebuild the motor in class that there is someone to help you that is familar with these motors. They are not your typical old school 350ci chevy. Tollerances need to be exact, and there are plenty of little things that must be done to ensure a trouble free motor. Setting up cam timing wrong has cost plenty of people all there intake valves and some pistons. So if you decide to go ahead with it just do your homework and read all the ls1 how to's and post over in the conversion section for info and help. Good luck to ya.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:38 AM
Launching!

any ls1 even in stock will KILL a rustang, but for the upper levels (mushtang worm---er cobra) it is true that I also love whrenching but i agree with buying another car....
but if youre like me try to find earlier model cams 218-227 lunati, the head porting just a decent polish, also please SOR THE SAKE OF ______ buy ARP rod bolts, that year is particular in bolts made from asparragus, they strech.
buy this two books in ebay (LS1 + books) theyre amazing...

GF pics????? ;-)
Old 10-21-2005, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

Why not just turbo your 3800? my friends grand prix GT (not supercharged) runs 10.9@125mph. Stock bottom end. he has a t3/t04 hybrid turbo like a p-trim.. he just got cams, exhaust, fuel and tuning built auto tranny... dyno 473whp. thats on a stock bottom end 3800. Now he's building a shortblock and going with a T-76 turbo... i see 9's in his future.

3800's are nothing to sneeze at when you add boost.. look at the Grand National...but they will never sound like an LS1.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$800 is def a real good deal if it is a complete long block with the pcm. Just gotta tear it apart and make sure it isnt trash (spun rod bearing, consumes tons of oil, piston slap, etc). If its a good engine then i would pass on the LS6 cam, heads, etc and just get aftermarket stuff. If you went with a good sized cam and some nice heads you would easily be over 400 rwhp, which is more than enough to beat most cars out there, and the car would sound sick with a nice lope from the cam. If your set on turboing the caer then your gonna want different heads and cam, which can get expensive. Also, if you dont forge the short block your gonna be limited to around 7-8 pounds of boost from any turbo kit you get. Also, your gonna have to upgrade your fuel system and look into a new rear end as your stock rear isnt gonna be handle all the extra power. Id talk to the people who have done the swap because im sure is gonna be just as expensive as buying a low mile ls1 (can buy one out of state from either a member on this board or on ebay and have it shipped for around $500 bucks to your house) and selling your v6. If you need to have something to do at your automotive school and your set on swapping an ls1 in then go for it, but its gonna be expensive as your gonna have to do a lot of other mods to the car, not just the engine. Good luck though and let us know what you end up doing!

Search this Thread