Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Selection

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Selection

Hey guys & girls, I'm about to purchase a cam and I want to make sure I order everything I need. I'm looking @ a TR224/224 .563/.563 112 LSA. From searching through all the posts, I've chosen this as a streetable yet powerful cam. It seems to me to be almost the best of both worlds. Ok, now my questions are:
1.) Do I need to purchase titanium retainers for the install or should I be alright with the stockers?
2.) The pushrods I'm getting will be 7.40s, I just want to make sure I don't get the wrong size. The block is bone stock.
3.) Finally, do I need to put the $$$ into getting double valve springs or will singles work just fine for me? I don't want to cheap out, but I'd like to save $$$ for some other projects.
4.) Should I buy the gasket kit for $50 so I don't have to worry about reusing the factory gaskets or should they be ok? (Mileage on my car: 20000)
5.) I plan on tuning the car with HP Tuners when I get the $$$ together to get it over Xmas. If, by chance, I can't get HP Tuners right away, will it be alright to run the car without a tune?

I'm planning on doing the project myself over the LONG winter. The install looks fairly straight forward from looking @ the install instructions. Let me know if you guys/girls have any other tips that might help me out.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
Old 10-31-2005, 05:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SilverWS6_2002
Hey guys & girls, I'm about to purchase a cam and I want to make sure I order everything I need. I'm looking @ a TR224/224 .563/.563 112 LSA. From searching through all the posts, I've chosen this as a streetable yet powerful cam. It seems to me to be almost the best of both worlds. Ok, now my questions are:
1.) Do I need to purchase titanium retainers for the install or should I be alright with the stockers? If you have the $$, titanium is lighter, but stock ones will suffice.
2.) The pushrods I'm getting will be 7.40s, I just want to make sure I don't get the wrong size. The block is bone stock. 7.400 is the right size
3.) Finally, do I need to put the $$$ into getting double valve springs or will singles work just fine for me? I don't want to cheap out, but I'd like to save $$$ for some other projects.Comp Cams 918 single beehive springs will suffice. They're good to .600 inches of lift. I'm running these with my TR224 and have revved the engine to 6700RPM with no problems.
4.) Should I buy the gasket kit for $50 so I don't have to worry about reusing the factory gaskets or should they be ok? (Mileage on my car: 20000) I only had 16K miles when I changed my cam. I changed the gaskets. Better safe than sorry.... Just my $0.02
5.) I plan on tuning the car with HP Tuners when I get the $$$ together to get it over Xmas. If, by chance, I can't get HP Tuners right away, will it be alright to run the car without a tune? I wouldn't run it without a tune for too long, but short term won't kill it. I went a week before getting mine tuned. The car will run fine, just will be harder to start, will smell like fuel at idle, and will occasionally die at a stoplight until warmed up.

I'm planning on doing the project myself over the LONG winter. The install looks fairly straight forward from looking @ the install instructions. Let me know if you guys/girls have any other tips that might help me out. On a 2002 I suggest you invest in pen magnets as well as the JPR tool. Many threads on this. For some reason, 02 cars can be real PITA's when it comes to retaining the lifters using the JPR rods. Mine was....

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
Hope this helps some. There's a boatload of info on the TR224 and cam installs. The search will help on this. Also, Ls1howto.com is a good source.