Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What cam to go with ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 07:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What cam to go with ?

Hi everyone i have a 2000 z28 m6 all i have done to it is a lid and a muffler. I want to shoot for 400 rwhp after the cam swap. What cam should i go with chances are it prolly wont pass smog but if there is a cam out there that will that will give me 400 hp after the install that would be great. My friend went with a G5X1 228/232 112LSA i was thinking of somthing along the line's of this.what do you think about this cam ? What do you guys reccomend ?i mean what have you guys tryed and what did you like?
BTW this is going to be a daily driver so nothing to outrageous and preferably somthing that a friendly driver. Thanks

Last edited by minesfaster; 10-31-2005 at 07:08 PM. Reason: .
Old 10-31-2005, 07:38 PM
Launching!

my cams in my sig, a bit smaller than the cam your buddie got but i love mine! you hardly notice it in traffic just cruising but once you get on it theres no doubt the stocker was replaced!
Old 10-31-2005, 07:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by minesfaster
Hi everyone i have a 2000 z28 m6 all i have done to it is a lid and a muffler. I want to shoot for 400 rwhp after the cam swap. What cam should i go with chances are it prolly wont pass smog but if there is a cam out there that will that will give me 400 hp after the install that would be great. My friend went with a G5X1 228/232 112LSA i was thinking of somthing along the line's of this.what do you think about this cam ? What do you guys reccomend ?i mean what have you guys tryed and what did you like?
BTW this is going to be a daily driver so nothing to outrageous and preferably somthing that a friendly driver. Thanks

What kind of emissions do you have to pass?

You can't make 400 rwhp cam only and pass a visual/sniffer.

Do a search or four. There is a lot out there about cams that can pass emissions. (such as Thunder's CheaTR)

Search and read the stickies.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:02 PM
TECH Regular

I live in cali so i have to pass all the good ones, but if i want to make any type of decent power then it will have to be non smogable ? Also how many of you take out your mods on your car to pass smog ?
Old 11-02-2005, 05:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

a muffler, lid and a cam aren't going to make 400rwhp, you need supporting mods. Headers, free flowing exhaust, better intake system (ported TB, LS6 or better manifold) and in your case since you need to pass emissions your probably going to need heads because you can't go with the monster cam like everyone else is thats making 400rwhp+

FWIW that G5X1 cam isn't going to pass smog, its way too big. Search and put a plan together, its going to be hard and $$ but it can be done. Look for Patrick G's setup
Old 11-03-2005, 12:55 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by magius231
a muffler, lid and a cam aren't going to make 400rwhp, you need supporting mods. Headers, free flowing exhaust, better intake system (ported TB, LS6 or better manifold) and in your case since you need to pass emissions your probably going to need heads because you can't go with the monster cam like everyone else is thats making 400rwhp+

FWIW that G5X1 cam isn't going to pass smog, its way too big. Search and put a plan together, its going to be hard and $$ but it can be done. Look for Patrick G's setup
I meant with long tubes and a cam to make 400 RWHP.
yeah it's cool if i dont pass smog because if i am going to go through all the trouble of installing a cam and spending that kind of money i might as well get somthing that is going to make decent power.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Long tubes, 224 cam (biggest you can go and stay legal) pulley, intake manifold, and catback. Put you right at 400rwhp. Good luck.

PS: Don't forget your $500 dollar tune.