Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking to buy head/cam pakage

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking to buy head/cam pakage

hey guys i am looking for a head/cam pakage that can get me to 400rwhp. i am kinda on a tight budget so any less expensive head/cam pakage would work. the car is a daily driver and not for racing at the tracks. thanks for the support.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just about any head/cam package makes 400rwhp these days...but remember you get what you pay for. Call some of the sponsors like Texas Speed up for a budget H/C recommendation for your car...looks like you got the other necessary mods covered except for injectors. You need a good tuner..if you are around here I recommend Rapid.

This thread is interesting too

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/359782-our-new-stage-1-head-almost-finished.html

Ditch the slowmaster muffler...
Old 11-17-2005, 07:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ls1650
hey guys i am looking for a head/cam pakage that can get me to 400rwhp. i am kinda on a tight budget so any less expensive head/cam pakage would work. the car is a daily driver and not for racing at the tracks. thanks for the support.
Call Texas Speed and Performance. They have awesome deals on PRC heads/cam packages. I'm sure they can help you pick the right heads, cam size, ect. BUTT............

You really should get a torque converter first. A 3500 stall matched with a decent set of heads, mid range cam (228/228 114 for example) will get you to your goal and keep you in your powerband.

The problem is the stock converter is only 1800 rpm's. When you put in a bigger cam it'll cause your engine to make max HP and torque higher in the rpm's. So if you flash to 1800 but don't make good power till 4000, it'll feel like an eternity before the car starts pulling hard. But if you flash to 3500 then it'll pull hard right out of the gate.

You could go small on the cam like say a 220/220 114 so the stock converter will still be ok. But if you do that two things will probably happen.

1). You'll wish you had gone bigger on the cam within a month.

2). You may not make 400 rwhp.

I honestly think a 3500 stall is a much better investment right now. They really wake up these cars. I know you don't race but my ET dropped by .5 and my trap went up by 1.5 mph. But more important to me is the dead spot is gone and my car is 10 times more fun to drive now.

Good luck with whatever you decide.