Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston Slap, Lifter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 12:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston Slap, Lifter?

Well I know the piston slap topic has been beat to death, but I need some input. Around 8000 miles my 2002 Z28 Convertible started making a loud ticking on start-up. At first it was sporadic but eventually got to the point where it does it every single time, runs quiet for about 30 seconds and then starts to tick. It always sounded like a lifter was bleeding down to me but I have been to more than one dealer and gotten the song and dance about piston slap from them. I requested that they try changing the o-ring on the oil pump but they wouldn't do it or anything else released on their own bulletins for that matter! They even told me that if they went and started up a new Corvette that they had it would make the same noise. I guess that was supposed to make me feel glad I didn't spend more for the same problem!!
I have tried every oil or additive recommended on this forum without any luck. As long as the noise went away after a short time I wasn't too concerned. But now, the ticking never seems to go away until you start to drive it and then after you stop, after a minute or so it comes back.
I thought that piston slap was a cold start up condition, does piston slap occur at operating temperature? The fact that the noise comes back after driving for awhile, I still think it may be a lifter, rocker or pushrod. I haven't pulled a valve cover off yet, but there is no way around it at this point. Does operating temp affect piston slap, I have 160 thermostat, would it be better with a 190 degree back in it? Of course the car now has 39,000 miles and is just out of warranty and I'm most likely on my own at this point.
I took it to the dealer again, same one who told me it was piston slap last year and they don't want anything to do with it since they didn't sell me the car. They now recommend that I take it back to the originating dealer, maybe they can file for an Empowerment claim that covers a vehicle up to 24,000 miles past original warranty. Has anyone had any luck with an Empowerment claim or even pursued one?
It's also funny to me that when I asked what they would give me for it on a trade for a new vehicle, they were about $3500 low. This car is very well cared for and is near perfect, but I guess it would be hard to sell sounding like a diesel!
Well enough complaining, any input would be very much appreciated on this noise I have or dealing with an empowerment claim. Thanks in advance!

Rod
Old 11-20-2005, 12:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds much like piston slap to me. My car wasnt a slapper in the beginning, but it developed with time. Especially in the colder months of the year. The first 30 seconds or so are pretty quiet, but then from 30 seconds till about 2 or 3 minutes its slapping like mad. Thinner (not thicker) oils seem to lessen the embarassment of starting my car up in the parking garage at work.