Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

g5x4 cam card?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 07:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4thGenCamaro
The fastest Cam Only car is Rodneys which has a TREX and weighs 200lbs more than Sean and Keith. If he put heads on the car, it would be faster than any LG cam powered 346. I don't want this to turn into a flame war Louis, I am just giving the facts. Your cams make power and show on the track, which is hard to come by these days. Too many people are caught up in dyno numbers to realize that.

If you want max power and performance, go with a TREX
Good to see i have fans haha

We'll find out what a Trex does with heads soon enough

and like juggy said, Alans car is not stock compression or cubes but still hauls the mail none the less
Old 12-08-2005, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, read what Good Doctor said. That is what I was going to say before I saw his post. Why would LG put in research (money) into cam specs and then let someone else go and use the exact same specs for themselves. That means LG just donated a lot of time and money, for nothing. With that being said, it sucks that you need to do that. I wish people all had the right mentality, but there are a lot of people that make life difficult for others.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:41 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

G5X4 is a Comp Cams XE-R 236/244 111+2. I didn't "steal" that information. I looked at a dyno graph, saw the LSA, and heard about the lift (matching up on Comp's master lobe list), and figured out the IVC value and worked from there. If I'm wrong, I'm not off by much. You can order that through Comp directly for $379, get a cam card, and be a happy camper.

Last edited by JakeFusion; 12-08-2005 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Guys,
A shop wants to protect a cam specs (to a certain degree), then that cam should never be sold outright and only installed in house at LG.
He admitted himself that they only degreed 10 out of 500 or so cams that they install in house at LG.
Now that is what I call professional install.
This ***** footing around and hiding specs is only good as long as there is less than 2 cams on the market.
(1 being the prototype).
Even if LG doesn't put specs in advertisement, and I repeat this for all the poeple who understand what a cam is
(YOU HAVE TO HAVE A CAM CARD TO DEGREE THE CAM).
How hard is that concept

Man, this is like pissing in the wind.
This is why some of you get astonished when a shop says "I MADE 470 RWHP WITH XXX CAM" and you are UNNABLE to duplicate that.
WHY???????????
Because they never give you a clear picture, true and honest, just a GOLDEN egg on a platter, and most consumers just jump on the wagon.
Anyways, from my business point of view, his policy (LOUIS) trying to protect his golden eggs who I already know the specs BTW, lost 439 $$$$ because my policy is and will remain (NO CAM CARD, NO PURCHASE).

BTW I have 2 LS1 cars, and I wanted to start modding the Vette, LG headers looked good, but that has been reconsidered too.

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 12-09-2005 at 07:30 AM.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

I understand you predator, but I wouldn't just stop buying lg products because they wouldn't give out a cam card. I just wouldn't buy their cams. No offense, but that sounds kind of childish.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 777
I understand you predator, but I wouldn't just stop buying lg products because they wouldn't give out a cam card. I just wouldn't buy their cams. No offense, but that sounds kind of childish.
Nothing to do with LG products, just don't feel comfy with them anymore. I already have/had some of their products.
see, I don't want to stick it to them, but I'm voicing my opinion without details.
I have e-mails between LG and myself inquiring that G5X1 purchase. Should you read them, you would understand (prolly die laughing at the way I was being treated).
I just want them to understand, that this is a highly competitive business, and loosing customers is not good practice IMO. (not that my purchases would make or brake them, but things add up)
Old 12-09-2005, 07:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

I understand. I retract my previous statement. You just made it sound like since they didn't give you a cam card you aren't going to do any business with them anymore.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

How's that cam of yours BTW?
Did you get it dynoed/tuned yet?
Old 12-09-2005, 08:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question for all the people bitching about not getting cam specs. How many people either install a cam your self or had a shop install the cam and only went by the specs and dont measure clearance? I told my engine builder about not getting specs with the G5X4 and he didn't care. He said he didnt trust other people and tested everything himself anyhow. I can't argue with that can you? Can you imagen ordering a cam then being shipped a different one that was slightly bigger by mistake and putting it in dot to dot? I dont know about anyone here but I have to much money invested in my engine to just guess and/or take some ones word. SO in short I recommend either installing these cams correctly or getting some one else to. This just installing a cam dot to dot doesnt mean anything after you start changing heads and building an engine or going this big for that matter.

How many of you know how to read cams and know what works? I would think if you did you would order a custom grind and if it was that easy none of the companys would have cams that they designed and tested because it would be pointless.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:54 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Good Doctor
If your livelihood, your sole source of income was a function of cam sales (as it is in LG’s case) I think you would hold your invested capital as an important commodity and be offended when people take advantage of you and clone your cams.

This argument always comes up and personally I don't think it holds much water. As an example......Thunderracing gives out their specs so that would mean everyone just copies their numbers and it hurts their sales. BS.....they put out a great performing cam and have sold plenty.

Thunder, Texas Speed, Futural, etc. have no problem selling cams yet everyone knows the specs. Maybe it gives LG wood because they have this super secret cam?
Old 12-09-2005, 09:32 AM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jay_99z
This argument always comes up and personally I don't think it holds much water. As an example......Thunderracing gives out their specs so that would mean everyone just copies their numbers and it hurts their sales. BS.....they put out a great performing cam and have sold plenty.

Thunder, Texas Speed, Futural, etc. have no problem selling cams yet everyone knows the specs. Maybe it gives LG wood because they have this super secret cam?
Exactly. No reason to keep the specs secret. Just throw the cam on a cam doctor to get them. Last time I checked Thunder, TSP, and FMS were still making a lot of money with their cams, and the specs are known. I personally am going with a TREX for my cam only setup. It proves to make the most power for stock heads.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

Me ... I think LG is entitled to keep his cam designs close to the vest. He developed the profiles, tested them and has earned the right to do what he wants with his info. Just because of f'king "Google" , some people think they are "entitled" to know everything for free. P-a-a-a-lease...

Besides... who's to say the "XYZ69" cam you have just chosen is the "right" one for your application? Whether you knew the specs or not? Isn't that what you pay the experts for... their expertise.

Back to the dungeon... /off rant

Ed
Old 12-09-2005, 10:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by The Juggernaut
Stock short block? 10:1 compression?Is it even Hydraulic?

Didn't think so.
Touche, juggernaut.....but he did say "MAX EFFORT" that is open for debate as to what is and is not max effort. Solid roller, forged shortblock sounds max effort to me. I'm not trying to be huffy here, hard to tell by my first post in this thread, i just don't agree with his business practices either, despite the fact it is a proven cam, i think their stuff is pricy and if i'm not being treated like my money is important to someone, i'll take it somewhere else. I spoke with them on the phone ONCE about possibly have a cam install done. I did not like the way I was treated at all in conjunction with not giving me specs because I'm an "average joe" on a budget, i have never contacted them again and won't.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:58 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EDC
Me ... I think LG is entitled to keep his cam designs close to the vest. He developed the profiles, tested them and has earned the right to do what he wants with his info. Just because of f'king "Google" , some people think they are "entitled" to know everything for free. P-a-a-a-lease...

Besides... who's to say the "XYZ69" cam you have just chosen is the "right" one for your application? Whether you knew the specs or not? Isn't that what you pay the experts for... their expertise.

Back to the dungeon... /off rant

Ed
the old top secret cam profile routine agian. Cracks me up how some will release their specs and dont care, others who charge and arm and leg care very much and keep it a secret. If your as expensive as they are you need to keep it all hush hush to justify your pricing. Its all marketing and the ploys they have to use to make a buck. I would never buy a cam without knowing its specs and dont recommned it to anyone else either. Here put this in your car, I wont tell you what it is you just have to trust me ya ok!
Old 12-09-2005, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

I disagree with you. If you spent hours and tons of money into developing a very good product you are going to want to recover that money through higher pricing. For someone to "steal" the specs and get it grinded for less money is basically just that, stealing. In a perfect world, like I said before, this would not happen in the first place.

BTW predator, the cam is doing alright. I need to do something, and I'm not quite sure what. The plugs don't look all that great. I just seafoamed it. So now it's running rough at idle. I think it's just the plugs. The lifters are making noise too, but I think it is just normal valvetrain noises. I didn't have any with my previous cam (soft lobes) If the plugs don't fix it, I'm going to get new lifters.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:08 PM
Banned

LG is more expensive for everything, you call it what you want, I'll call it what I want. Buying a cam without knowing the specs is stupid. You need that information to make informed decisions as to the rest of the setup. Its all a marketing game. What your saying is that none of the other sponsors need to re-couperate r+d costs?!?. Its all built into the price of the product. LG is more expensive just for the sake of it, not because they spent money on r+d and the other didn't. Its their company they can have what ever policy in place for what ever reason they want. I can have custom ground cam for what they charge for off the shelf and my cam will be a lot better and produce more power than theirs for my setup. I'm not dis'ing them so much as their prices. They put out a quality product at a premium price.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

Cool

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
the old top secret cam profile routine agian. Cracks me up how some will release their specs and dont care, others who charge and arm and leg care very much and keep it a secret.
At least in my case, specs are not a secret to the owner of the cam. Just to the people not willing to spend the Ben Franklins.

If your as expensive as they are you need to keep it all hush hush to justify your pricing. Its all marketing and the ploys they have to use to make a buck.
I can't speak for others, but what I charge is what I consider a fair and marketable price. I don't offer any off the shelf profiles like others but regardless of that, if I charge a fair price for a product and have customers that see fit to pay this fee, why criticize them for this?

Do you know how much engineering and design time is worth? The costing of time for research in order to find the proper timing events? The actual testing time with dyno and track time to get it "right" is worth nothing? How about the "extra" service beyond the camshaft sale? I guess you don't get a paycheck at the end of your work week huh.
I would never buy a cam without knowing its specs and dont recommned it to anyone else either. Here put this in your car, I wont tell you what it is you just have to trust me ya ok!
Though you seem to feel the people who do these camshafts are not smart enough to develop camshaft profiles that will fit "your" car, there are plenty of people who will seek the advice of these experts for their cars! The rely on the advice and credentials of people in the know. They are trying to avoid the internet warriors or the bountiful "he said, she said" type of advice that is prevalent on this site.

Hey... you don't agree with LG's philosophy (and a few others) but then again.... it's a free country.

Ed
Old 12-09-2005, 12:42 PM
Banned

"At least in my case, specs are not a secret to the owner of the cam. Just to the people not willing to spend the Ben Franklins." --

there you have the marketing ploy in effect. IMHO if you believe in your product then your not worried about being ripped off and you disclose what it is. There are plenty of vendors who do it this way and make money at the same time so it cant be all wrong can it?. Am I going to bring my car to LG's shop to get it installed and tuned? No, I'm not within 1000 miles of them. Trusting someone because they force you to is BS. What your saying is that you know whats best and I dont need to get any other opinions. Again BS. It could be as simple as paranoia but I think its more smart business tactics than anything, which is called marketing. Like I said you have a quality product at premium price. But if I'm building my car I need to know whats what before hand and get opinions from others as to my combo, it has nothing to do with stealing your specs and having a cam ground for a few less bucks. Knowing duration and lift still doesnt tell you what lobes are used and that makes a difference. But Like I said its their or your company you can have what ever policy you want simple as that.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Did we ever find a G5X4 cam card? (initial post)
Old 12-09-2005, 12:57 PM
Launching!

i know right!!!

Quick Reply: g5x4 cam card?