Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pushrods/roller Rockers.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 10:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pushrods/roller Rockers.

I Need Some Information On Pushrods And Roller Rockers. I Have A 2001 Ss With 26,000 Miles. I Notice A Bad Rocker Arm Noise And I Want To Replace Them With Roller Rockers. Should I Go Shaft Mounted Or Should I Go Stud Mounted. I Also Heard The Stock Pushrods Aren't Very Strong. I Need To Replaced Them But Should I Stick To The Stock 7.400 Size With 1.7 Roller Rockers. Please Any Input Is Apprieciated.

P.s. Anyone Interested In A 2003 Silverado Z71 With 29000 Miles.
Well It's For Sale And I Need To Sell It So I Can Buy A Turbo Kit.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:43 AM
Banned

i'd say shaft mounted is definately the way to go. try either harland sharp or patriot performance. the patriots are adjustable 1.7 ratio, the harlands i believe have an adjustable set too. they're both nice pieces and are relatively inexpensive. definately get some hardened pushrods to go with them, as you will for sure need a MUCH shorter rod to go w/ the patriots. get a pushrod length checker (they're like, 25 bucks) and see exactly what you need as far as length. then you can bolt up the rockers, adjust them to get your geometry perfect and go.

i have patriot shaft rockers - haven't put them on yet. but i am this winter. i measured for the pushrod length and it came out to be around a 7.1" rod. much shorter than the standard 7.4.

hope that helps.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Unless you have an aftermarket cam/springs, don't get hardened pushrods. If you mis a shift and over rev your engine, the stock pushrods will bend first, and could possibly save you from valve damage. With hardened pushrods, the valves will most likely take the bullet. If you have some bent pushrods, just replace them with some stockers.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The noise you're having might not be rockers but more like a bent push rod.
Are you M6?
Stock rockers are some of the best (lightweight).
shaft would be serious overkill.
Even if your rockers went bad, just send them to NASTY'S
Performance for a Harland Sharp rebuilt (~$250) and that would be better than any swap.

If you insist on rockers, then get the CRANE "accelerated lift " ones, they come with all that is needed (p-rods, rockers etc...)
Old 11-25-2005, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the great advice. I am planning on putting a turbo on the car so in that case what would be the better option. Hardened pushrods or stock???
Old 11-25-2005, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Cranes here, and I really like them. The PR's that come with them are hardened. I have never quite figured out the theory that you use a weak push rod as a fail safe. Then you end up with a push rod that is pole vaulting all the time. Not sure I follow this logic.