Sponsored by:

MAGNAFLUX a set of assembled heads

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default MAGNAFLUX a set of assembled heads

Hello Everyone,
I have a set of heads that are used....but very little miles on the springs and valves and I was wondering if its alright to get them Magnafluxed to clean them up? What exatly is involved in the Magnaflux process, and also, will it damage the viton seals? Lastly, will it effectivly clean both the runners with the valves still installed?

Thanks!
Adrian
Old 12-07-2005, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Haans249
Hello Everyone,
I have a set of heads that are used....but very little miles on the springs and valves and I was wondering if its alright to get them Magnafluxed to clean them up? What exatly is involved in the Magnaflux process, and also, will it damage the viton seals? Lastly, will it effectivly clean both the runners with the valves still installed?

Thanks!
Adrian
Magnaflux is not a cleaning process. It is used to find cracks in cast iron/steel blocks. You can have the heads disassembled and cleaned in a parts washer. You will need new seals though (at least some) since there is a good chance of damaging the seals when you take them off. In fact seals are so cheap, just get new ones.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

ahhh, I guess I asked a pretty stupid questions hahaha, but, the heads are relatively new (3,000 miles or so) so would it be ok to just clean them with some brake cleaner or engine degreaser, or like you said in the part cleaner? I would really rather not disassemble them, and would the chemicals damage the seals?

Thanks!
Adrian
Old 12-07-2005, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the chemicals will damage the seals.
You do need to disassemble to clean the heads in a parts cleaner.
Use pressurized air to dry them as soon as they are cleaned and oil the guides and seats immediately or they will corrode.

There is no good way to clean them while assembled.
Were'nt you also asking how to figure piston to valve clearance without measuring?
You must really be lazy huh?
Old 12-07-2005, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

Haha, yes, i'm extremly lazy....but really no, I'm not. =P

I'm just not experienced, and I was just wondering about things, and asking questions. If I didn't have to disassemble the heads to clean them, the better, they really aren't that bad. If I found the information elsewhere, I wouldn't have asked =D. But now I know, and I will disassemble them to clean them.

As far as the P-V clearance, I don't really understand how that all works, because you just can't pop on the heads, drop the valve till it touches, measure that distance, and then flycut the pistons for the remainder of the spec'd lift of the cam because the max lift doesn't occur when the piston is at TDC. Then with the clay, if the valve pushes all the way through the clay and touches the piston...how does that help you? You can't measure the clay because the valve touched the piston so you really dont' know how much clearance you need.

So, if you have a good write up on the process, that'll be great, cause i haven't found any, and haven't really gotten any concrete information on here about the process. So of course, i might ask dumb questions, such as just using the math to calculate the P-V clearance which I'm 100% sure is possible given the right specs, its just too complicated.

Anyways, thanks for the information about the seats and guides! I will remember to do that once I clean them...=D

Best Regards,
Adrian

Quick Reply: MAGNAFLUX a set of assembled heads