Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Shut down on Missed shift

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 06:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Shut down on Missed shift

Allright, I pulled off a serious dumb f*ck move, I went to my buddy's and had some beers and got stupid. I was getting on it hard and I went to hit 4th and (dipsh*t) jammed it in second! Car shut down on me almost immediatly. I was probably doing around 80-90 I think but im not totally sure. Car wouldn't start back up on the first 3 tries. Freaking out thinking I blew the motor then it started back up and ran fine, good oil pressure, goes into gear smooth, everything. The next day I drive it and get on it to see if anything feels off, felt ok, just now the belt or a pulley is squeking like crazy. No Knocking, grinding, terrble sounding noises like that. Have you guys ever heard of one of these cars shuting themselves down at too many RPM's or shuting off in a situation like this? Also any thoughts on the belt/pulley? Obviously I f*cked up here, I WONT be drinking and driving again so try not to rip on me to hard. Thanks for your thoughts
Old 12-07-2005, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put my ex's sunfire in reverse going about 50mph... it shut down like you said, and wouldn't start back up. Took the keys out, waited a minute or two and it started right back up and drove fine.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm never heard of that happening ... the one time i did the exact same move as you and I just pegged the limiter for a split second till i put the clutch back in. Car never shut off though
Old 12-07-2005, 09:21 PM
TECH Veteran

If you do that and wig out the Crankshaft Position Sensor it'll shut the engine off immediately, it can also be hard to start the first few tries.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:17 PM
Launching!

From what you guys are telling me it sounds like it should be fine. Thanks for the input. One other thing, do the pulley's on LS1's suck or what? My mom has a camaro too and the belt squeaks on hers too.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blue99SS
From what you guys are telling me it sounds like it should be fine. Thanks for the input. One other thing, do the pulley's on LS1's suck or what? My mom has a camaro too and the belt squeaks on hers too.

When I was a tech at a Pontiac dealer I remember getting squeaky tensioner and idler pulleys from time to time. I would use spray lube as a diagnostic tool on them. I ran the car on the hoist and sprayed the lube on each pulley. When the noise went away I knew that was the pulley that was noisy. Then I would just replace that one.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Had to replace tentioner and alternator pulley