Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems after head install

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problems after head install

Well after a host of problems and a $745 machine shop bill to get the heads right I got the motor back together.I turn the key and it starts up almost right away.Cool I am thinking and let the coolant burn off the exhaust and so on. The temp gauge keeps climbing past 210 where it normally runs and almost hits the red. I shut it off and let it cool down. I take off the radiator cap and think maybe it just has an air pocket. I start it up again,leave the cap off and it keeps bubbling so theres air but the temp keeps climbing. I shut it off one more time. I go to start it about 10 minutes later and it wont even try to start. Check all the fuses and it blew the 50 amp ignition fuse. I take the ABS fuse which is a 50 and try it and it blows too. Take another fuse and it happens again. I look for a short or maybe a pinched wire and come up with nothing. Any ideas?
Old 12-11-2005, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

check the starter wires
check the ground wires on the back of the head
follow the wires from the fuse
Old 12-11-2005, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

there are two wires to the head correct? I know for a fact they are connected. I am going to get some fuses tomorrow.I thought about the starter ground when I was cleaning up because it was off since the heads came off.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If it keeps bubbling, are you sure you don't have a head gasket leak? Does it turn over by hand? You might be hydrolocked if the gasket leak is bad. Pull the plugs and look at the condition. I had a 350 I worked on for someone once and when I pulled the #7 plug coolant poured out.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It is not hydrolocked the starter doesnt even try to turn. The fuse blows before the starter even gets the signal. The motor does turn over by hand no problem too.I thought it could have been a leak too.But everything was followed to a T
Old 12-12-2005, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine is always a pain to get all the air out of. I usually take the line off that goes to the Throttle body and bleed it from there while it's running. I also leave the heat on so it cycles through the heater core. Also make sure the resevoir is full. like this, mine will get hot - about where you are describing, and then come down and run normally. As far as the starter, I would bet a pinched wire or you crapped a starter.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks itchy i did run the heater.I will know soon whats wrong with the car.I have been working too hard at work to even think about working on anything else mechanical when I get out