Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to hook chain when lifting front end?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where to hook chain when lifting front end?

Where exactly do I need to hook the chain from the cherry picker to the front of the car when lifting the chassis off the engine? PICS would be GREAT!

THanks!
Old 12-13-2005, 11:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got through doing one tonight. The chain wraps around the core support. Directly in front of the hood latch. The core support is the piece that the plastic radiator support/air lid holder bolts to.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't want to steal this thread, but, what would be easier.....pulling the engine out of the top of the car, or doing what you said? its a 2001 WS6

I will be pulling my engine for the first time this weekend, so can anyone shed some light on how this is to go down? Detailed instrustions on the easiest method would be best!

My friend has a cherry picker, and a engine stand, but no lift. If I were to pull the engine from the top, where would I hook the chains on the engine?

Thanks a lot!
Adrian
Old 12-14-2005, 05:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Haans249
I don't want to steal this thread, but, what would be easier.....pulling the engine out of the top of the car, or doing what you said? its a 2001 WS6

I will be pulling my engine for the first time this weekend, so can anyone shed some light on how this is to go down? Detailed instrustions on the easiest method would be best!

My friend has a cherry picker, and a engine stand, but no lift. If I were to pull the engine from the top, where would I hook the chains on the engine?

Thanks a lot!
Adrian
Going out the bottom is the easiest and most effective way to get the motor out. That way you can get to every bolt, including the tranny, out of the car. Here's a write up I did: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/243456-k-member-removal-write-up.html