Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

these damn heads

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 01:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default these damn heads

ok, so i am in the worst jam ever. let me bring you up to speed and into the horrible experience that is my car.

so i was changing myintake on my car and snapped a bolt off that bolt into the head. my friend in all is infinite knowleg ad wisdom decided to use an easy-out to get it out. then he snapped the easy-out.

this is hardened steel and i cannot drill through it. so i am taking off the head (drivers side) to take it to a machine shop. and i cannot get the damn thing off. i have all the bolts out, unless there is a hidden one somewhere.

i really dont want to take the radiator off to get the power steering pump off if i dont have to since the puller will not fit in that small space. does it have to come off?

does anyone here know if i just have to pry the head or is there a trick to it? like swearing at it more? thanks guys
Old 12-19-2005, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

Is it the driver's side head? If so, then you have to remove the power steering pump in order to remove the head. I believe the power steering pump is bolted down to the head and the block. Maybe if you can just remove the bolt that holds the PS pump to the head? Don't know if you can do that or not.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:15 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to ls1howto.com and click on the head swap part. Look at all the head bolts and make sure you have one for everyone mentioned. You dont have to take the radiator out to get the power steering pump off, only the water pump. There is one bolt in behind the p/s pump that is kinda hard to get to but besides that its cake. You should not need any kind of puller to remove the p/s pump once the water pump is removed. You can get to all the p/s pump BOLTS after you get the water pump off IIRC.

I think there is also a grounding strap bolted to the back of the head that you might want to check out.

I pulled both of my heads and never had to take the radiator out, OR use any kind of puller
Old 12-19-2005, 03:17 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh and BTW this is NOT the worse jam ever, try having your dipstick tube break off inside the block while the motor is still in the car

Or try dropping a camshaft retainer plate bolt into the oil pan.

See the bottom of my sig... you want to join?
Old 12-19-2005, 09:39 PM
Teching In

thanks guys. maybe i can get it off tonight. peace all
Old 12-19-2005, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Default broken easyout

check with a machinsit supply shop they sell extractors to get some styles of broken easyout's out and special titanium drill bits that will drill out an extractor. Good luck