Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dart Head Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 07:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
Yep they fit just fine.... I checked all the clearances on the Pro Mag stuff before I assembled the heads.

Let me add that the extra material around the rocker bosses is a GOOD THING! The guys who race GM OEM heads in road racing weld up around the rocker bosses or they end up failing the heads in this area, DART fixed this problem from the factory, even though they can probably change the CNC program to help with clearance around the Crane and stock rockers.

Hopefully I will button up the car here soon, and the customer can take it and get it dyno tuned. I'm thinking around 450rwhp or more.... with 230/236 cam, 11.2:1, headers, a LS6 intake and ported TB. Don't know how much the SLP lid is going to hurt though.

Bret
I have been massaging the bosses for the valve cover trying to blend and keep the strength in the design. I think for Dart, since the stock rocker base butts right up against the valve cover bosses, this adds strength if using stock rockers and based on stock rocker usage vs. Crane, it is probably in Darts best interest to leave the design as is.

I also modified my Crane valve spring tool to minimize the material I have to remove and keep the strength in the original Dart design. This should give me the best of both worlds
Old 01-02-2006, 07:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question

OK, I have a set of 225s on order, and have been reading this topic with
great interest while I was away on vacation last week. Now that I'm home, did some measuring of my own FWIW:

PN 12550592 '97-98 LS1 block: top of bore chamfer - 3.94" DIA.

PN 12558810 '98 GM graphite head gasket - 3.98" bore dia. -
probably explains the diameters used on the Cometics...

I don't have a stock 5.7 MLS gasket on hand...so you guys are saying there
is one with only a 3.91" bore... That is very interesting IMHO...
Old 01-03-2006, 06:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I recently found a part number for the 6.0 liter with a 4" bore. Comes in either MLS or graphite. I am going with the graphite since it is less critical on surface flatness just in case, although I usually do a very good job cleaning and preparing the surfaces.

Right now, the heads are apart and I am modifying for the Crane/Vinci valve spring tool and the Crane guide plates. Turns out if the tool fits, so will the guide plates. I will need this once the heads are on the car so valve spring swaps can be done later (planning ahead) as a preventative maintenance.

I also found that the valve spring shims are above the one piece seal/seat, never seen that before

Heads are beefy and they look like nice quality parts have been used.