LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation III Internal Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine-5/)
-   -   Aftermarket Rod Bolts (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/432102-aftermarket-rod-bolts.html)

Blktie8 01-09-2006 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by FRDnemesis
For months now I have been reading and hearing that the stock rod bolts are the weakest point in the LS1 motor and therefore the limiting factor on how much power you should make reliably and the limiting factor on how hard you can turn the motor.

So being that my plans include a healthy heads and cam package with nitrous, I checked into changing the rod bolts. However,............. I was told by several companies that I called MTI, HPE, Lingenfelter & others that I should never just change rod bolts. The rods need to be re-conditioned for it. Only 1 company and I will not name them since they are a sponsor said "sure why not?"

Well, I logically figure it was stupid to disassemble a motor that far and not just rebuild it, which is something I'm trying to avoid because I want a stroker later on. So I dropped the idea.

Well last week a local friend of mine brought up changing rodbolts and I told him why I was not going to get into, that I just wouldn't turn the car hard. His immediate reply was "go look at what Katech's website says". http://www.katechengines.com/street_...etail.php?id=5

I did, and from what they say, its no big deal with the bolts they sell. Its a simple R&R, torque to 50ft/lb and your done.

What is your input? Has anyone done the swap with Katech rod bolts and nothing else?

Thanks,
Jeff

Yep! I have the Katech rod bolts and spin my 2000 to 6800 and have the limiter set at 7200 runs great for a year now.
Removed the old installed the new @50 lbs

Cal 01-10-2006 04:29 PM

I've been bouncing off a 7000 rpm rev limit for a full season on Katech rod bolts with no problems.

FRDnemesis 01-13-2006 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cal
I've been bouncing off a 7000 rpm rev limit for a full season on Katech rod bolts with no problems.

I ordered mine today. Kind of disappointed of no price break for LS1Tech members :confused: . I need them regardless, so I need to quit whining about it. :devil:

Thanks for everyones input here!

Jeff

Sledgehammer 01-13-2006 12:59 PM

What is the tensile strength of Katech's rod bolts...?

Also...I checked to see if there was any rod distortion with ARP 8740 Wav-Loc bolts compared to the stock bolts...

They both measured out identical to each other...I could not find any difference in the big end what so ever...

Not sure how the ARP Pro's with arp 2000 material would do...

Anybody else do any measuring with any of the above bolts on there builds...?

Katech_Jason 01-13-2006 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Sledgehammer
What is the tensile strength of Katech's rod bolts...?

Also...I checked to see if there was any rod distortion with ARP 8740 Wav-Loc bolts compared to the stock bolts...

They both measured out identical to each other...I could not find any difference in the big end what so ever...

Not sure how the ARP Pro's with arp 2000 material would do...

Anybody else do any measuring with any of the above bolts on there builds...?

260,000 psi tensile strength

Sledgehammer 01-13-2006 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Katech
260,000 psi tensile strength

WOW... :hail:

FDLS1 01-13-2006 03:50 PM

I did do a comparison with measurments of a Stock bolt and ARP pro series bolt but I have the comparison at home. After measuring I couldn't see a reason why the ARP bolts would put the rod out of round, so I installed them!

JoeyAnderson 01-13-2006 03:56 PM

Just got my Katech order in yesterday - Rod bolts & Tensioner from KJ@SDPC - he gave me the best deal!

redtail2426 01-13-2006 05:28 PM

i looked on the SDPC website for the katech rod bolts and didnt see them??

FRDnemesis 01-15-2006 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by JoeyAnderson
Just got my Katech order in yesterday - Rod bolts & Tensioner from KJ@SDPC - he gave me the best deal!

What? Are you serious? How much for the rod bolts?

JoeyAnderson 01-15-2006 12:17 PM

Shoot KJ@SDPC a PM - they are a Katech distributor and can get both the Rod Bolts and Tensioner. :)