Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H/C Project Complete, turned key.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 10:27 PM
CBX
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H/C Project Complete, turned key.....

and it started, first try. Oil pressure came right up, lifters chattered a little at first then settled down. No smoke, strange noises, or anything out of the ordinary. Holy ****. I was a little worried, but pretty confident because I was thorough. I will just give you the highlights of what I did all at once (and for the first time).

Under construction:

Completed:

Futral F11 Cam
FMS hardened pushrods
New LS2 timing chain
New Lingenfelter oil pump (much more pressure than my old stocker)
New Manley dual spings, titanium retainers, hardened spring seats
Ported and polished the heads
Cleaned, pistons, intake, etc.
New valve cover gaskets
New Melling lifters
Ported & polished the throttle body
New radiator, flush and replace coolant
New ASP underdrive pulley & belts
New A/C compressor, evacuate system and recharge
New Front O2 sensors
New B & M supercooler transmission cooler
Changed tranny fluid to Mobil 1, installed new filter
Changed differential fluid to Royal Purple
Installed new Fuddle Racing 3400 stall
Oil change, Mobil 1 & filter
New rear brakes
Lapped valves & seats
New fuel filter
Fixed parking brake
New NGK TR55 spark plugs
New PCV valve
All of this came to under $3,000.00 not including dyno tune.

Whew, having a nice cold one now , well deserved. Not one leak, problem, no codes, and wails like a banshee! Won't idle for **** though. Next up, dyno tune.

Thanks to everyone who answered all my questions and helped out.

Last edited by CBX; 01-14-2006 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:28 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Beautiful man. I wish I could say the same thing but I am pretty much retarded lol.

Congrats
Old 01-13-2006, 10:30 PM
CBX
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Lithium
Beautiful man. I wish I could say the same thing but I am pretty much retarded lol.

Congrats
You'll get there, you're on the home stretch. I'm just glad mine came out OK after all that work.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:46 AM
Launching!

Congrats!! Looks nice and clean, just the way I like to work.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:27 AM
Launching!

CBX, are the Melling lifters direct stock replacements? and if I change to those lifters do I have to worry about pushrod lenght?
Old 01-14-2006, 08:31 AM
CBX
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FDLS1
CBX, are the Melling lifters direct stock replacements? and if I change to those lifters do I have to worry about pushrod lenght?
Yes, they are direct stock replacements. They even look identical to stock. Use the same pushrod legth, yes.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:46 AM
Launching!

Thanx, I am in the middle of a similar project just haven't put the heads back on yet so I was wondering if it was a good idea to change the lifters while I was there? I take it that the Melling lifters are stronger and better than stock for higher horse power applications? I was reading this thread

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=428976&page=1

And realized that I have the non- encapsulated lifters so I figure I would change to the Melling which are encapsulated right?

Last edited by FDLS1; 01-14-2006 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:04 AM
CBX
TECH Apprentice

Thanx, I am in the middle of a similar project just haven't put the heads back on yet so I was wondering if it was a good idea to change the lifters while I was there? I take it that the Melling lifters are stronger and better than stock for higher horse power applications? I was reading this thread

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=428976&page=1

And realized that I have the non- encapsulated lifters so I figure I would change to the Melling which are encapsulated right?
Yes, the Mellings are encapsulated, my stockers were also.

I don't know whether or not they are stronger or better than stock. I just bought them because I had 57,000 miles on my car, the heads were off, and for the money, I would have to be crazy not to. When is the next time I will ever have the heads off? Hopefully never. If you have close to 50K or more on the car, just do it. When you see how much work it is to finish the rest of the project, you will be glad you did it now. Do it once, do it right.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:06 AM
Launching!

Thanx for the help and sorry for taking your thread off track.... Back on Track for CBX!
Old 01-14-2006, 09:17 AM
CBX
TECH Apprentice

Thanx for the help and sorry for taking your thread off track.... Back on Track for CBX!
Old 01-14-2006, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you drive it around a put some miles on it it will run better but you will need to get a tune to make it perfect..your SES light will go on and off a few times..congrats!! on your mods..you get a good feeling after you do it yourself!!
Old 01-14-2006, 10:59 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a big fan of the F11. Congrats!
Old 01-14-2006, 11:33 AM
CBX
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by slt200mph
If you drive it around a put some miles on it it will run better but you will need to get a tune to make it perfect..your SES light will go on and off a few times..congrats!! on your mods..you get a good feeling after you do it yourself!!
I know, that's a lot of **** to throw at the computer all at once! The PCM must have been all messed up.

Yeah, it felt great when it started right up. I was a little just before I turned the key.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:37 AM
CBX
TECH Apprentice

Just want to add a little advice for you guys considering doing it. If you order a cam from Futral, or anybody else for that matter, don't tear your car apart after 2 weeks thinking you're OK. Wait until you have the cam and all the other parts you need in hand. 8 weeks is a long time to look at your car in 100 pieces. Plus if you pull it apart and put it right back together, it's all fresh in your mind. Just follow the directions on LS1howto.com and pay close attention to what you are doing and you'll be OK. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions. This forum and the Corvette forum have lots of knowledgeable people who are more than willing to help.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats, I did the same last fall after a year of having the car apart. A digital camera ( before and after shots ) helps, as does putting bolts in plastic baggies with notes as to what they go to.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:28 PM
Restricted User

Did you pull the steering rack or do take another step?
Old 01-14-2006, 12:34 PM
CBX
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NOSjohn
Did you pull the steering rack or do take another step?
Yes, you have to pull the steering rack in order to remove the crank pulley.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:39 PM
Restricted User

Hahhaa, yes I'm familiar with it. I was hoping someone discovered a way AROUND this measure. I'm doing my FRC within the next month or so - cam, LS6 intake and a few other goodies. A clutch install is just as much fun!
Old 01-14-2006, 06:08 PM
CBX
TECH Apprentice

Just want to post this update. The car now idles on it's own, I forgot to reconnect the air tube from the engine to the air pump. Now that I can really hear it, and got to stand behind it, damn, it sounds mean. Really nice lope to it with the 112 LSA. Bigger cam? I don't think so, I think I got it right. The power band is right where it should be, especially for the street. Took it out for a little spin and I think I will be getting some new tires in the near future. Or should I say a few sets. I can roast the tires at will, no brake stands necessary. Just hit it, and I don't even mean to the floor. I don't know how I could even hook up with 3.73's. I think I'll just stay with my 2.73's, enjoy the mileage and less abuse on the engine. The whole hood shakes, the car shakes, talk about "seat of the pants". Oh yeah, the wife is gonna bitch, but WTH, it's worth it.

Overall, I'm really, really happy with it.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Time for poly motor mounts - makes the car much more liveable! And the wife doesn't bitch even with the power I'm making. Same deal, light em up at will