Sponsored by:

maybe a stupid question......

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 03:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default maybe a stupid question......

if it is please hold the laughter until after you help me please

Is it ok when I change my heads a few weeks before I change my cam to go ahead and install the new springs with the heads? Will that have any adverse affect running a stock cam with that setup?

The reason is that the heads are in Atlanta where my parents live and the guy wants my core heads for his ported and polished heads. I live in Jacksonville and was planning on doing the cam myself.

Curtis
Old 01-14-2006, 05:48 PM
11 Second Club

anyone??
Old 01-14-2006, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no i can't say that it would really affect anything adversly...you will probably be a little over sprung, but you will likely need it with the new cam so go for it. Won't hurt.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:28 PM
CBX
TECH Apprentice

Ship the heads if you have to. Do you realize how much easier it will be to install the cam with the heads off? For one thing you won't have to worry about your lifters falling into the engine. I just did my h/c. Plus, when you install your cam, you'll have to remove and install the water pump, power steering, serpentive belt, etc. all over again. I would never do all that work twice.

Last edited by CBX; 01-14-2006 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:47 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All at the same time can save you time. But what kind of springs are they? Dual or single?
Old 01-14-2006, 10:14 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

The extra spring tension will be fine. However, I agree with the other guys, if you're going to get into pulling the heads, do the cam at the same time. What if you just get the cam in advance and swap it in Atlanta at the same time.

Steve
Old 01-14-2006, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CBX
Ship the heads if you have to. Do you realize how much easier it will be to install the cam with the heads off? For one thing you won't have to worry about your lifters falling into the engine. I just did my h/c. Plus, when you install your cam, you'll have to remove and install the water pump, power steering, serpentive belt, etc. all over again. I would never do all that work twice.

If you're removing the heads, then take out the lifters and avoid any chance of them falling down when you take the cam out. Do whatever it takes to get the heads so you can do the cam at the same time.