Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In need someones $0.02

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay, i believe you're right about the TR224. I bet the VHP tuner will tune it pretty well.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

Now TR says not to use 1.8 rockers...why? I have been thinking that a set of Jesels would be a real nice addition.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

What is our stock rev limit at?
Old 01-15-2006, 04:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here's my $0.02....if your gonna get a cam why not dish out a little more cash for a custom tune and go with a bigger cam, i always here people saying they wish they would of gone bigger and if you can get a bigger cam w/ a good tune to drive like it was stock why not go this route??
Old 01-15-2006, 11:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
Now TR says not to use 1.8 rockers...why? I have been thinking that a set of Jesels would be a real nice addition.
Not for that kind of power range, serious overkill.
Look, as mentionned if you want a bigger cam, then forget the VHP tuner and budget for a dyno tune. Bigger cam will require stiffer clutch.
Whatever you decide, make your choice first and then stick to it. Nothing worse than a bunch of mismatched parts that do not work well together.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:57 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
Okay, i believe you're right about the TR224. I bet the VHP tuner will tune it pretty well.
I have the tr224 and the vinci/crane. They tell you to custom tune #4. Its only a so-so tune. I've since had a dyno tune and picked up about 20hp left on the table by the vinci. The vinci works good for what it is, but obviously isnt going to be as good a dyno tune. Still had some driveability issues after tuning w/vhp. I suppose if I had a wideband I could have done more, but then your talking 450 for the vhp and another what 200-300 for a wideband? And your still not getting any logging done. errrrr guess I'm going off there...
Old 01-16-2006, 12:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
I have the tr224 and the vinci/crane. They tell you to custom tune #4. Its only a so-so tune. I've since had a dyno tune and picked up about 20hp left on the table by the vinci. The vinci works good for what it is, but obviously isnt going to be as good a dyno tune. Still had some driveability issues after tuning w/vhp. I suppose if I had a wideband I could have done more, but then your talking 450 for the vhp and another what 200-300 for a wideband? And your still not getting any logging done. errrrr guess I'm going off there...
That is true, no substitute for live wideband dyno tune as VHP doesn't fine tune parameters. But with a guage it would come close.
Thing is he already has VHP. IMO first decision would be to keep or sell the VHP and then go from there.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:09 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you have to flycut with that cam?
Old 05-11-2006, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That tuner seems like a cool gizmo. FWIW, some info from VHP:

VHP HAND HELD DIAGNOSTIC TUNER

READ AND ERASE DTC CODES INSTANTLY. INSTALL ONE OF SEVERAL BASE TUNING PROGRAMS, DESIGNED SPECIFICALLY FOR ONE'S VEHICLE AND PARTICULAR POWER PACKAGE. THIS BASE PROGRAM MAY INCLUDE AIR INTAKE MODS, HEADER AND CAT CHANGES, CAMSHAFT CHANGES, CYLINDER HEAD CHANGES, FUEL INJECTOR CHANGES, EVEN SUPERCHARGER INSTALLATIONS. THEN UP TO 30 DIFFERENT TUNING ADJUSTMENTS TO THE BASE PROGRAM MAY BE MADE. AUTOMATIC FAULT ADJUSTMENT WILL CORRECT TUNING IF A POOR GRADE OF FUEL IS USED WITH HIGH OCTANE DEMAND PROGRAM.

ONCE A BASE PROGRAM HAS BEEN SELECTED, ONE CAN INCREASE OR DECREASE FUEL ENRICHMENT 5, 10, OR 15 % . ONE CAN INCREASE OR DECREASE TOTAL TIMING BY 10% AS WELL. ONE CAN EVEN ADJUST YOUR IDLE IN 50 RPM INCREMENTS, ALLOWING A SMOOTH IDLE OR A BUMPTY BUMP DRIVE-IN IDLE. OUR TRANSMISSION PROGRAM ALLOWS ONE TO INCREASE SHIFT INTENSITY AS WELL AS SHIFT POINT ENHANCEMENT. DIFFERENTIAL AND TIRE CHANGES, ETC. AND COOLING FAN HISTORYSIS CAN BE ALTERED AT WILL. ANOTHER VERY IMPORTANT ISSUE IS TORQUE MANAGEMENT. VHP & CRANE CAMS HAVE CORRECTED THIS POWER ROBBING PROCESS FOR YOU.

UNLIKE SOME LAPTOP ORIENTED RE-PROGRAMMING SOFTWARE, NO SPECIAL TRAINING IS NECESSARY. OUR TUNER SIMPLY LEADS THE INSTALLER THROUGH A SERIES OF Q & A STEPS ALLOWING THE USER TO PICK AND CHOOSE ANY CHANGES TO BE MADE. THE RE-TUNING PROCESS TAKES ONLY A FEW MOMENTS AND CAN BE ALTERED ANY NUMBER OF TIMES. IF AN UPDATE IS DESIRED, ONLY THAT STEP NEED BE TAKEN, RETAINING THE EARLIER MODIFICATIONS. THIS IS VERY HANDY WHEN TUNING THE TIMING AND FUEL CURVES AT THE STRIP OR TRACK.

THE NEW DIAGNOSTIC TUNER CAN BE USED TO TUNE ENGINES EQUIPPED WITH OTHER BRAND CAMSHAFTS. THIS TUNER DIFFERS FROM SUPERCHIPS®, HYPERTECH®, DIABLO® , BY ALLOWING THE USER TO INSTALL A WIDE VARIETY OF VHP CAMSHAFTS, LONGER RATIO ROCKERS AND OTHER VHP PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS AND ACTUALLY TUNE FOR THESE PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS. THESE NEW VHP CAMS WERE SPECIFICALLY DEVELOPED FOR USE WITH THE HANDHELD TUNER, AND WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU PURCHASE YOUR CAMSHAFT WITH THIS IN MIND. IF THERE HAS ALREADY BEEN A CAM INSTALLATION WITH ANOTHER CAM BRAND, THE TUNER WILL MOST LIKELY WORK TO IT'S MAXIMUM EFFICIENCY. SINCE WE HAVE INCORPORATED SEVERAL CAM / POWER PRODUCT COMBINATIONS INTO OUR BASIC TUNING PROGRAMS, SIMPLY MATCH YOUR CAM'S SPECS TO ONE OF OUR AVAILABLE PROGRAMS WHICH CLOSELY MATCHES YOUR SPECS, AND DIAL IN THE FINAL TUNING PROFILE TO MAXIMIZE PERFORMANCE. OUR TUNER WILL HANDLE CAMS FROM STOCK SPECS AS MILD AS 200/200 DEG @ .050 WITH A LIFT OF .500, TO CAMS WITH 236/240 DEG AND LIFTS UP TO .600

GIVE THE PROS AT VHP A CALL AND ORDER YOUR HANDHELD TUNER TODAY !