Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about total seal rings

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 12:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about total seal rings

Currently my motor has these with stock pistons. Well Long story short the motor is burning about a quart of oil every 300 miles. Plugs are oil soaked on most cylinders with #2 being the worst (See Pic) car smokes like on idle, on heavy throttle, etc.. I have already replaced the valve seals, and modded the PCV so that it will not suck oil into the engine with no luck. I am pretty confident my rings are shot.

http://members.torquecentral.com/joel/plug.jpg

Can I tear the motor down and replace the rings with stock rings? Would I need to do any maching to the block? I bought the car and these rings were already installed, the block only has about 10k miles on it.

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

you'll need to break the glaze at minimum to install new rings to get them to seat.

I tried those same rings 4 years ago with very disappointing results....used boatloads of oil. I think they worked so well they pulled the oil down the valveguides. Everytime I pulled the intake I saw at least of teaspoon of oil sitting on top of the intake valves
Old 01-25-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Fireball
you'll need to break the glaze at minimum to install new rings to get them to seat.

I tried those same rings 4 years ago with very disappointing results....used boatloads of oil. I think they worked so well they pulled the oil down the valveguides. Everytime I pulled the intake I saw at least of teaspoon of oil sitting on top of the intake valves
Thanks for the info. Were you rings causing any blow by or was your oil consumtion just from the guides?
Old 01-25-2006, 10:49 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Who put the rings in? Sounds like the second ring may have been installed upside down and may be scrapping oil UP into the combustion chamber and not down into the crankcase like it's supposed to.
Also, are all the rings gapless or just the top ring?
Old 01-25-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

Just the top ring is gapless. I talked to the engine builder and he swears they are installed right.. But as usual no warranty on the short block.. So since I am really low on funds the only thing I can think to do chaeply is just throw some stock rins in it..
Old 01-26-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone else?

Quick Reply: Question about total seal rings