Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

short or long block

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 06:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Short block stands for engine without heads and long block stands for engine with heads. and yes it will fit ,the pcm can be tuned to work out almost any thing even turbo or supercharged engines
Old 02-12-2006, 06:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ReD_Z28..... YOU are a saint
Old 02-12-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Exclamation

ok, im not an experienced mechanic and if my postings sound ignorant or dum then sorry, but im trying to get help, so i can learn, thnx for the info, im sure my shop will tune everything out for me, if you have any suggestions on a cam and head combo that will give me the most power i can get and still keep daily driving reasonable then let me know
Old 02-12-2006, 07:01 PM
Teching In

are u talking serious ? the guy just told u the whole story ! the answer for ur last question is YES you can use ur stock PCM no worries it will not burn because of the extra cubes .. take my advice .. go to howstuffworks.com and try to learn how cars work .. am not kidding .. do ur own search and learn how PCM`s works .. and believe me it is not a shame .. if u are interested in car modding .. do it step by step . let me know if u need anything
Old 02-12-2006, 07:03 PM
10 Second Club

Point taken..... 23 posts ago.
Everything depends on everything.
Streetable is a very relative term on this board.
Have your builder set up the CR for a pump gas motor(pistons/heads)
Have your builder choose the cam per your heads/flow numbers.
Have your builder order the parts.
Have your builder build the motor/install it.
Have a reputable builder/tuner tune it.

You "should" be golden.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:04 PM
11 Second Club

Take it easy man the guys here are very helpful ……… anyway the shop that will build the engine can give you more info about the cam and heads >>>> LME or HPE can build you any engine you like with good price to satisfy your needs.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Exclamation

thnx, im buying the engine with pistons, rods crank, from another shop then im taking it to this other shop to do the rest, thnx for help name of shop is strictly performance motorsports, its located in southern cali, Los Angeles County, a tech on this site gave there adress and recomended them to me.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:09 AM
On The Tree

would you need to lengthen the hood or just or just move the engine back into the firewall more for the 427 long block???
Rotfl.
The funny thing is about six years ago I had this same question but never actually asked.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by themack56
thnx, im buying the engine with pistons, rods crank, from another shop then im taking it to this other shop to do the rest, thnx for help name of shop is strictly performance motorsports, its located in southern cali, Los Angeles County, a tech on this site gave there adress and recomended them to me.
Just be careful of shops and scams. I remember when I first got my car about 4 years ago. I thought I knew so much, and now that I look back, I realize I didn't know jack. And compared to a lot of the people here on this board, despite the fact that I've expanded my knowledge ten fold, do my own motor work and understand the lsx motors greatly now, I still don't know ****.

Judging by your questions, it sounds like you have no previous car modding or performance car background. These cars are no joke and it is my opinion that if you do not know your car, its capabilities now and the capabilities of the modded state you want your car to be in, you should not be modding it untill you understand those things.

My advice would be to take some time to read, learn from other people's mistakes, judgements and experiences and use them as a tool to determine what your ultimate goals are for your car. That's what this forum is for.

There is a lot more to a car then just throwing a big motor in it. All you'll end up doing is breaking the car, or hurting yourself. If your car is stock and you think you're just gonna toss a 427 in it, you're in for a rude awakening.

BUT, if this is the path you choose to go down, I wish you the best of luck, and keep us posted on the build with a follow up of performance results!

-J
Old 02-13-2006, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Exclamation

your right about me not knowing much, im doing my best in trying to learn about the power of these engines and not to be stupid and kill my self, i remember when i first got my 98 z28 so many people told me, " too much power your gonna crash or kill yourself, and to this day no accidents whats so ever," i just got into modding and hp about a year ago, the mechanic at my shop is my sisters husband so everytime we talk just about cars, people on here are very helpful and knowledgeable, guys on here helped me with my a4 to m6 swap last month, me not knowing much about mechanics, i pulled it off, but im not trying to do this my self, it will be done professionaly also suspension upgrade will come before the car is turned into a 427, thnx ill keep you updated on my project
Old 02-13-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Exclamation

forgot to ask how much heavier is the 6.0 iron block then my 346 that i have in my z28 right now? the 427 is going to be built based on the 6.0 gm iron block.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by themack56
forgot to ask how much heavier is the 6.0 iron block then my 346 that i have in my z28 right now? the 427 is going to be built based on the 6.0 gm iron block.

88lbs.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:52 PM
11 Second Club

I thought I was a newb, this thread makes me feel better about my newbieness
Old 02-13-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Exclamation

is the heavier block worth it?
Old 02-13-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Depends on how much torque and hp you're going to make. I'd use an aluminum block unless I was going max effort. If it's just gonna be an NA motor, I don't think it's worth it. Why have the extra weight if you're not going to use the structural strength to your advantage. Now if you're gonna give it a big turbo or blower with lots of boost, or a huge shot of n20, then i'd say it's more then worth it.

I believe the aluminum blocks lose stabitily around 900 bhp. Correct me if i'm wrong anyone??

Or maybe you want to go boost later on in time, in which case you might want a iron block. Take a step back and think of your long term goals, this is what will send you down the right path for what you want to initially set your motor up to do.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:14 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SLowETz
I'm pretty sure all '98's came with long blocks, but I could be wrong
Not sure if anyone here will be able to answer that question for you, but I bet if you go to www.ls1.com someone there "may" know

Let us know when you find out as I'm sure there are some folks here who'd also like to know
thats ******* great, that made my night
Old 02-14-2006, 12:42 AM
10 Second Club

A guy at work asked me the same question yesterday.. I'm gonna tell you the same thing that I told him..

PLEASE DO LOTS OF READING AND RESEARCHING BEFORE YOU SPEND THE FIRST PENNY ON YOUR CAR!!! YOU WON'T REGRET IT!!!! IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A LONGBLOCK AND A SHORTBLOCK THEN YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS BUILDING ANY KIND OF PERFORMANCE VEHICLE!!!
Old 02-16-2006, 12:02 PM
Teching In

I had the same question 10yrs ago. So don't feel bad. Never be ashamed to ask any question, but it is important that you listen. If you fail to listen experience will teach you instead of these guys. Experiences can be good and sometimes they can be very very painful. Please do research about your engine and how it works before you spend any money at any shop. Also, if your planning to stay with this car stuff you need to develop thick skin because car guys can be brutal, but its all in fun... Take care!
Old 02-16-2006, 03:18 PM
10 Second Club

You guys are F#$%ing hillarious!