Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rockers are hitting spring retainers

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rockers are hitting spring retainers

Someone please help I'm having a problem with my rockers with the valve closed the rockers hit the retainer. I have seen a post on people having to notch their rockers, but can't find it. I am using stock rockers everything looks like it would be good as far as wipe pattern, but don't know if I should notch the rocker or shim the pedestal. Anyone else run into this problem or find the post on notching rockers.
Thanks
Old 02-21-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

I'd try shimming the pedestals first, along with the necessary adjustable/longer pushrods, comparing sweep as you go. It's always risky notching rockers...
Old 02-21-2006, 09:07 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

00 black ram air
First, why do you think that your rocker arms are hitting the retainers? Did you change to larger diameter springs? Are your push rods too short for the base circle of the cam? Why do you think that the wipe pattern would be OK (unless you didn't change anything that would affect the valve train geometry or clearance)? How did you come to discover this? Please explain a little more and we'll see if we can be of help.

All my best,

Steve

Last edited by Steve Bryant; 02-21-2006 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

I am putting heads on that have manley 1.45 o.d. springs on them I got them from a member on here. I was checking v/p clearance and you can see plain as day that the stock rockers are hitting the retainer while the vave is closed, once it starts opening the valve then it contacts the valve stem.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:23 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

OK, it sounds like the outside diameter of the springs are the culprit. GM went to a bee hive design for two reasons that I can think of: improved rocker arm clearance and reduction of mass.

Anyway, I wouldn't try to clearance the rocker arms because it will weaken them. Follow MadBill's advice. Shim the rocker arm to gain adequate spring clearance and determine the correct length of pushrod.

You'll have to have an adjustable pushrod checker. I've never used one so maybe someone who has can chime in on this. One concern that I have is that the valve lifters need to be pumped up when you check the length so you don't get push rods that are too long and end up unseating the valves when the lifters are on the base circle. Maybe someone can chime in on this.

Steve

Steve

Quick Reply: rockers are hitting spring retainers