Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Additives to quiet the LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Additives to quiet the LS1?

What is safe to put in my engine/oil to make the piston slap or any noise go away? Ive heard of Lucas or Slick 50? what is a safe product to add to my 5W40 oil to quiet the engine a bit? Thanks
Old 03-01-2006, 10:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nothing. that noise will NEVER go away.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

nor is the noise harmful. thicker oil will help quiet the noise, but that isn't the main concern when choosing oil viscosity. if the rest of the engine likes a thinner oil, would you switch to a heavier one just to quiet down some piston slap?
Old 03-02-2006, 02:09 AM
On The Tree

My slap comes on about 2 min after cold startup and NEVER goes away. just gets a tad quieter when warm. it is most promenently heard in the begining of each gear (so 1k rpm to 2500rpm)

i changed from Mobil1 5W30 to AMSOIL 5W40 and no difference in sound. may have even got a little louder

someone has to have some experience with say "Slick 50" or some other product

i know everything there is to know about the slap but i know people have quieted it a bit with additives to there oil. anyone?
Old 03-02-2006, 02:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

read post above yours, allready was explained.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:08 AM
Racer

I use lucas synthetic. But its not to get rid of piston noise. Just to keep the oil and tranny fluid nice and thick. Youll just have to live with the noise. Its as common as having an ls1 in an 98-02 f-body!
Old 03-02-2006, 03:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

It will go away once you rebuild into a forged motor
(because while LSx motors last well if unmodified, the way we deal with them, their life is substantialy shortened)
BTW have you seen the effects of piston slap?
It does damage the motor at the long run.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:41 AM
Staging Lane

Are you the narc from fbody.com? If you are didn't you tell us over there that you put a half bottle of sea foam in your car and drove it for a week and that the noise never went away after that?

I told him that thinning out your oil like that and putting it under load for a weeks worth of driving could have screwed something up internally. What do you guys think?
Old 03-02-2006, 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

i have heard that part of the reason for the piston slap is the ring of carbon between the top of the piston and the compression ring i think gm does some sort of acid wash/soak to quiet them down a bit that ring of carbon will cause the piston to rock back and forth a tad more
Old 03-02-2006, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kungfuteabag
Are you the narc from fbody.com? If you are didn't you tell us over there that you put a half bottle of sea foam in your car and drove it for a week and that the noise never went away after that?

I told him that thinning out your oil like that and putting it under load for a weeks worth of driving could have screwed something up internally. What do you guys think?
The car is fine. it runs hard and has NO sign of problem. just hate that noise

what about slick 50?
Old 03-02-2006, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by narc
The car is fine. it runs hard and has NO sign of problem. just hate that noise

what about slick 50?
Sorry, but can't you read man???
Nothing will fix that noise, except new pistons with tighter piston to wall tolerances.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:52 AM
Racer

Just turn the radio up,that'll fix her
Old 03-02-2006, 01:22 PM
Launching!

5w50 Castrol Syntec full synthetic quieted mine down some. Don't run 5w30 Mobil 1, it is loud as hell. I tried 5w30 Castrol Syntec, but that didn't help much either.

I don't know where you live, but where I am it has been routinely falling into the 20s everynight, and 2 Saturdays ago it was 16 degrees out. Go out to start you fbody then. Now that is some loud ******* piston slap. I am hard pressed to believe that can't be hurting anything. Summer's better, but the damn thing always slaps on startup, and even when the motor is warm when it sits and idles for awhile it starts up again.

Just gonna have to learn to live with it man (or go forged, as mentioned earlier).
Old 03-02-2006, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slick 50 is a scam. Don't ever use it.

The important ingredient in Slick50 is PTFE (Teflon). HERE is a good website that talks about oil additives and below is something from that page:

" The problem with putting PTFE in your oil, as explained to us by several industry experts, is that PTFE is a solid. The additive makers claim this solid "coats" the moving parts in an engine (though that is far from being scientifically proven). Slick 50 is currently both the most aggressive advertiser and the most popular seller, with claims of over 14 million treatments sold. However, such solids seem even more inclined to coat non-moving parts, like oil passages and filters. After all, if it can build up under the pressures and friction exerted on a cylinder wall, then it stands to reason it should build up even better in places with low pressures and virtually no friction. This conclusion seems to be borne out by tests on oil additives containing PTFE conducted by the NASA Lewis Research Center, which said in their report, "In the types of bearing surface contact we have looked at, we have seen no benefit. In some cases we have seen detrimental effect. The solids in the oil tend to accumulate at inlets and act as a dam, which simply blocks the oil from entering. Instead of helping, it is actually depriving parts of lubricant.""

So, don't bother with anything other than good quality motor oil, and especially anything with PTFE in it. None of these companies will give out any specific test data or anything other than sales-guy-speak. No proof. Testimonials don't count.

$.02
Old 03-02-2006, 03:14 PM
11 Second Club

I second that

Quick Reply: Additives to quiet the LS1?